Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    You know, I really resent someone saying, "Don't mention _____ in the same
    breath as _______ ." Sorry, but that is ridiculous. They are pros, they put on
    their pants one leg at a time, and most have only two cajones.

Rod is my favorite Bronco. But I hesitate to say he is the best receiver we
    ever had. That brings up memories of one Lionel Taylor. Anyway, I am not
    going to say another receiver will never be as good or better than Rod.
    Neither Stokley nor Marshall may be as good, but you never know. I believe
    Javon is already better than Rod.

Now, please understand the gist of my comparison. I was making the point that
    size is not necessarily a great determinant as to the quality of a blocker. It had
    nothing to do with the general comparison of two receivers. So let's get off that
    "don't compare with" kick.

-----

I've yet to hear anybody mention Javon Walker for the HOF. Does he have the skillset and athleticsm to be better than Rod? Yes! But so does Hixon. Same with Stokely, Morgan, and Marshall.

Its kind of like saying that Jay Cutler is the next Elway just b/c he has a strong arm. I realize you weren't saying anything of the sort and we're insinuating that Stokely was the next Rod Smith... but you did compare the two...as far as size anyhow.

You can resent away, but it's probably a good idea to get accustomed to the fact that I and several others will likely have differening opinions from time to time. For the record though, you'll probably end up with a whole lot of resentment and I doubt that will make for a fun experience in life... but do what you know!

IMO, Rod Smith is great b/c he believes in the following:

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    Thomas Jefferson

Rod never took his playing career lightly. That's why you have so many right now that still will not count him out. He's overcome more adversity than most NFL players and he could go down as one of the best. Mental Attitude is what makes Rod...ROD!

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.
    Vince Lombardi

Will/Heart/Soul, call it whatever you want. Rod was successful not b/c he was better than everybody else but b/c he wanted it more!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore,
    is not an act but a habit.
    Aristotle

Practice like you play b/c you will play like your practice.

Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
    Willing is not enough; we must do.
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Rod knew that he was on the team year in and year out, yet he went out and practiced as though his job depended on it.
    Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
    Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by !ceman View Post
    I've yet to hear anybody mention Javon Walker for the HOF. Does he have the skillset and athleticsm to be better than Rod? Yes! But so does Hixon. Same with Stokely, Morgan, and Marshall.

Its kind of like saying that Jay Cutler is the next Elway just b/c he has a strong arm. I realize you weren't saying anything of the sort and we're insinuating that Stokely was the next Rod Smith... but you did compare the two...as far as size anyhow.

You can resent away, but it's probably a good idea to get accustomed to the fact that I and several others will likely have differening opinions from time to time. For the record though, you'll probably end up with a whole lot of resentment and I doubt that will make for a fun experience in life... but do what you know!

IMO, Rod Smith is great b/c he believes in the following:

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    Thomas Jefferson

Rod never took his playing career lightly. That's why you have so many right now that still will not count him out. He's overcome more adversity than most NFL players and he could go down as one of the best. Mental Attitude is what makes Rod...ROD!

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.
    Vince Lombardi

Will/Heart/Soul, call it whatever you want. Rod was successful not b/c he was better than everybody else but b/c he wanted it more!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore,
    is not an act but a habit.
    Aristotle

Practice like you play b/c you will play like your practice.

Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
    Willing is not enough; we must do.
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Rod knew that he was on the team year in and year out, yet he went out and practiced as though his job depended on it.
    Your lecture on accepting differences of opinion was neither necessary nor
    appropriate. I seriously believe that your reading comprehension must be
    better than what you just showed.

Differences of opinion don't bother me. If you will go back and read my posts
    again . . . very carefully . . . then you might get the idea that what I object
    to is treating a player as a god with this "don't compare" approach. For
    instance, at just under 6' 6", I am approximately the same height as Michael
    Jordan. Now, are you going to come back and tell me I am comparing myself
    to him as a basketball player?

Try to understand what I was saying in my post without a juvenile "don't
    compare" response.

Now, regarding your lecture on fun experiences in life, I am a 62-year-old
    father of four and grandfather of five. I watched the first Broncos game ever
    played on September 9, 1960 against the Boston Patriots, which the Broncos
    won 13-10. Even before that, I watched Bart Starr sneak the ball over Jerry
    Kramer's and Forrest Gregg's blocks for the winning touchdown against the
    Dallas Cowboys.

Just so you'll know you are not lecturing some kid on "fun experiences in life."

-----

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Your lecture on accepting differences of opinion was neither necessary nor
    appropriate. I seriously believe that your reading comprehension must be
    better than what you just showed.

Differences of opinion don't bother me. If you will go back and read my posts
    again . . . very carefully . . . then you might get the idea that what I object
    to is treating a player as a god with this "don't compare" approach. For
    instance, at just under 6' 6", I am approximately the same height as Michael
    Jordan. Now, are you going to come back and tell me I am comparing myself
    to him as a basketball player?

Try to understand what I was saying in my post without a juvenile "don't
    compare" response.

Now, regarding your lecture on fun experiences in life, I am a 62-year-old
    father of four and grandfather of five. I watched the first Broncos game ever
    played on September 9, 1960 against the Boston Patriots, which the Broncos
    won 13-10. Even before that, I watched Bart Starr sneak the ball over Jerry
    Kramer's and Forrest Gregg's blocks for the winning touchdown against the
    Dallas Cowboys.

Just so you'll know you are not lecturing some kid on "fun experiences in life."

-----

Sorry to take this thread (even more) off course. Scribe, please accept this as my peace offering and explanation of comments. I'm not interested in fighting with a kid, let alone somebody twice my senior.

For the record though, my response was based on your statement. Primarily the part that included:

You know, I really resent someone saying, "Don't mention _____ in the same
    breath as _______ ." Sorry, but that is ridiculous. They are pros, they put on
    their pants one leg at a time, and most have only two cajones.

When I said comparing Rod to Brandon was unfair that was MY OPINION. You resented that. My reading comprehension is fine. If I misinterpreted your comments it was b/c your point was poorly made. You go on to call my opinion rediculous... Thanks.

At any rate, it's awesome that you've been a Bronco fan for so long. Watching the first ever Bronco game and being a fan since 1960 obviously puts my 'fanship' to shame. I can remember watching games in the mountains when I was 3 or 4 years old but that was nearly 20 years after you watched your first! My apologies for coming accross in an insulting manner, but like I said, it was more retalitory than anything.

Iceman out.
    Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
    Samuel Johnson