Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red-zone offense dominates practice (8/6 AM)

I just noticed this mid-day update on the Post and thought I'd pass it on:
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_6556838

Red-zone offense dominates practice
    By Mike Klis

The morning session Monday during Broncos training camp at Dove Valley featured extensive work in the red zone with Jay Cutler showing nice touch on a touchdown pass to tight end Stephen Alexander in the back of the end zone, and receiver Domenik Hixon making a diving catch in the corner of the end zone.

Backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey later made a perfect throw on a 15-yard score to Quincy Morgan.

Veterans Brandon Stokley, listed as the starting receiver opposite Javon Walker, and backup tackle Adam Meadows missed the morning session to rest injuries, but were expected to participate in the afternoon session.

The morning workout was marred by the knee injury to rookie defensive end Jarvis Moss, the team's No. 1 draft pick. Moss was carted off the field and the team was awaiting an MRI exam.

Depth chart climbs

The Broncos on Monday released their first depth chart of the season. The most significant promotions were on defense, where Louis Green was listed as the starting strongside linebacker, and rookie defensive linemen Tim Crowder and Marcus Thomas were moved up to the second-team base defense.

Also, Troy Fleming moved up to No. 2 fullback and Darrell Hackney was nudged up to No. 3 quarterback.

Depth chart drops

Paul Smith, who missed the later part of last week with a groin injury, was at No. 3 fullback. Preston Parsons was dropped to No. 4 quarterback. Veteran defensive end Kenard Lang and defensive tackle Alvin McKinley were dropped to third string in the base defense.

Depth chart confirmations

Todd Sauerbrun is the No. 1 punter with Paul Ernster at No. 2. Hixon is the top punt returner with Morgan returning kickoffs. John Engelberger and Ebenezer Ekuban are the ends and Sam Adams and Gerard Warren are the tackles with the No. 1 base defense. Moss and Elvis Dumervil were the ends on the No. 1 nickel defense.

Position battle

During a 2-minute drill late in the morning session, defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy shot through to sack Cutler. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan then yanked right guard Chris Kuper out and replaced him with Montrae Holland. So while Kuper started the day as the first-string right guard, he didn't finish there. ""We got a lot of competition at a lot of positions but when a guy gives up three sacks in one day, we decided to make a move and see how the other guy responds," Shanahan said.

Quote of the Day

"When you're in this league if you're just trying to play special teams and not trying to start then you're on your way out. I look forward to competing for the Sam."

—Louis Green, the latest to be listed as the No. 1 strongside (Sam) linebacker, although he sat out Monday because of a bruised knee.
    Last edited by Javalon; 08-06-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Nice every time I read these I get so excited for Pre Season.

PEACE!!!
    JEEP
    O||||O
    []-----[]

PEACE!!!

I think Hixon could be the suprise of the year. usualy a runningback this year a reciever

Shanahan yanked Kuper!

Jim Wrongstrong noted that today on the radio. He could be in the doghouse!

I know next to nothing about Kuper, but what I've read about him makes me want for him to start at RG and Holland to start at LG. Or vice verse!

I'm really pulling for him, but Hollands contract extention is kinda telling. Although I've heard really good things about Kuper.

I'd be worried if I were Kuper. Knowing Shanahan, he'll move the 210lb Eslinger over to guard.

The smaller the better! Huh Shanny? ...

Quote Originally Posted by stnzed View Post
    Jim Wrongstrong noted that today on the radio. He could be in the doghouse!

I know next to nothing about Kuper, but what I've read about him makes me want for him to start at RG and Holland to start at LG. Or vice verse!

I'm really pulling for him, but Hollands contract extention is kinda telling. Although I've heard really good things about Kuper.

I'd be worried if I were Kuper. Knowing Shanahan, he'll move the 210lb Eslinger over to guard.

so you would kuper or holland starting over hamilton, our best lineman last year??

Nice read thank you Javalon.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

so our offense is dominating our first team D with the 3rd and 4th stringers?

i dont know if this is good or really really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal19 View Post
    so you would kuper or holland starting over hamilton, our best lineman last year??

**** yes!!!!!! If Hamilton was the best lineman (He wasn't, but W..E) last year, what does that say about the line?

**** yes!!!!!! If Hamilton was the best lineman (He wasn't, but W..E) last year, what does that say about the line?
    With Lepsis out. he actually was our 2nd best lineman (after Nalen of course). And that would tell us that last year's line was pretty damn mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    so our offense is dominating our first team D with the 3rd and 4th stringers?

i dont know if this is good or really really bad.
    Considering the defense has been owning the offense most of camp, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm wondering...

The article and elsewhere (Mason's blog) mention three sacks through Kuper resulting in a switch at RG. They mention Jimmy Kennedy having one, but nothing on the other two.

Does anybody know if it was JK breaking through on the other two as well?

I've been high on Kuper for a while and expect(ed) him to start at RG. Was this a momentary breakdown for him, a result of our DL knowing the OL weaknesses (and playcall?) and exploiting them, or is there something else going on that we should be worried about?

Other than WR, the OL is the biggest question mark for me. I think Kuper may become a fixture on the line for years to come, but I also understand that people have "bad days". I'm hoping that's all this was.

Any details would be greatly appreciated...

Winter is Coming!

It is GREAT to hear that the red-zone offense is clicking, as that is the hardest area to get touchdowns. Our TE group is sick, so is Hixon.

John Engleberger working with the 1st-team defense . He must be doing something right. That's good news, because if he can hold off players who are younger and probably more talented than he is, it will be a testament to how deep our new D-line is.

Looks like Chris Kuper will be a backup again this season, at least for now. Shanahan is very impatient when it comes to mental mistakes from players (giving up sacks, fumbling, etc.). I think Montrae Holland can be a good guard; all I know is that it's not easy to push a man of his size around.

It also doesn't look good for Kenard Lang. That's kind of a bummer, because he has some skill as a pass-rusher, but he was invisible a lot last season. It wouldn't upset me to see him go.

Glad to hear Hixon is doing well. Here's to hoping he is the next Devin Hester! Just kidding, if he can just give the offense good field position (own 30 or further), then he will be more than adequate.
    Last edited by Max Power; 08-07-2007 at 10:37 AM.

After hearing that Thomas was "struggling" so much, its good to see that he's moved right up into the second slot along with crowder.

Red zone 'drills' don't mean much We don't even know how many players were on the field during those drills. That could have been 7 v 7 for all we know. So don't sweat guys like Alexander and Hixon catching TD passes. Those drills are mainly for the offense, and not the defense anyway.

Eslinger is 6' 3" 290lbs.
    Nalen is 6' 3" 286lbs.
    Kuper is 6' 4" 302lbs.
    Holland is 6' 2" 322lbs.
    Lepsis is 6' 4" 290lbs.
    Pears is 6' 8" 305lbs.
    Hamilton is 6' 4" 290lbs.
    Harris is 6' 5" 300lbs.

I am perfectly happy with our smaller line. We are young and athletic! As soon as Nalen retires, Eslinger with step right in and not skip a beat. When Lepsis is done we can have Harris in the waiting. Not only do I feel great about this year but I really do feel that our line is going to be stable for a long time in the future!