X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dream
    Banned User
    • Jan 2005

Colt is 23 right now, but will be 24 in a few days. Just like John Beck, he'll be a very old rookie coming out of college. Teams do take age into consideration when it comes to players. It can be a negative, or a positive. Sometimes it has no effect if the player is truly special, (say a top ten talent, but he's 24 years old, if he fills a need take him) but Brennan has a lot of question marks.

I know Hawaii fan faithful don't like to hear it, but he does. I think the guy has first-round potential and could be a nice quarterback for a team - but he's not a realistic top fifteen selection, and unless I was in dire need of a quarterback - I probably wouldn't consider taking him in round one.

Another thing is, most of the playoff teams have good quarterbacks. So, when you get down into the playoff contenders, most teams aren't going to be looking for a quarterback.

Brennan is an enigma, but one I cannot justify as a legitimate top-half of round one selection, especially with how many QB's there are better than him, and the talent in this class.

Comment

• TXBRONC
      Captain
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by MindField View Post
      I think it has become rather clear the Broncos need to look at WR before any other positions...

I don't MindField, its seems way to early to say that wide receiver is going to be a position of need.
      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

• Denver_56
        Practice Squad
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Dream View Post
        I'm with you on wide receiver being a high priority for us, which is why in my mock draft I had us taking Doucet in round one, and as much as I'd love to see another young receiver, I think we could use an established guy from free agency. Depending on how good he'd be, he'd probably require a ridiculous contract because of the CBA, but it might be worth it. It'll be interesting to see if we get anything in return for Lang, as Kaylore mentioned to me in his interview and now John Clayton is backing it up - that he is up for trade.

Wonder if there would be another "Javon Walker" story out there we can take advantage of.
        if we draft a wr i would want either limas sweed or dj hall.out of the 2 i prefer hall.i think that he could be as electrifying as steve smith especially with cutler throwin the ball to him.

Comment

• MindField
          Banned User
          • Nov 2005

I'm with you on wide receiver being a high priority for us, which is why in my mock draft I had us taking Doucet in round one, and as much as I'd love to see another young receiver, I think we could use an established guy from free agency. Depending on how good he'd be, he'd probably require a ridiculous contract because of the CBA, but it might be worth it. It'll be interesting to see if we get anything in return for Lang, as Kaylore mentioned to me in his interview and now John Clayton is backing it up - that he is up for trade.

Wonder if there would be another "Javon Walker" story out there we can take advantage of.

What about Mario Manningham? He should declare after his Jr. year...

Comment

• Dream
            Banned User
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by MindField View Post
            What about Mario Manningham? He should declare after his Jr. year...
            I'd take Manningham in a heartbeat, but I think he's legit top fifteen selection. At this point in time, which is far too early to predict a record, I see us being at least five selections away from that, and without a third-rounder, there goes some thoughtful ammunition to go up. We could, if we wanted to throw away our two fourth-rounders and other selections, but I'd prefer we'd keep them.

Manningham would be fantastic, so would a lot of other junior receivers.

Even some seniors, according to my "value" so far. It'll be a solid class at that position, and IMHO - a great one overall.

Comment

• gyldenlove
              Special Teams
              • Jan 2007

Sheez, what is this guy on, firstly there is NO way that 3 AFC teams draft 30, 31 and 32. Secondly how the heck would the Falcons draft 13th and the Raiders 1st, I agree the Raiders suck as hard as any team out there, but at least they have a D.

Comment

• MindField
                Banned User
                • Nov 2005

I'd take Manningham in a heartbeat, but I think he's legit top fifteen selection. At this point in time, which is far too early to predict a record, I see us being at least five selections away from that, and without a third-rounder, there goes some thoughtful ammunition to go up. We could, if we wanted to throw away our two fourth-rounders and other selections, but I'd prefer we'd keep them.

Manningham would be fantastic, so would a lot of other junior receivers.

Even some seniors, according to my "value" so far. It'll be a solid class at that position, and IMHO - a great one overall.
                Or maybe take Cutler's former teammate from Vandy, Earl Bennett?....He is about to set some all-time SEC records, and almost assuredly will go Pro...that would be interesting....not sure if he is going to be a first round talent, but he seems to be well regarded...and I like his size at 6'1"-200/205....that is about the same size as alot of the best NFL wideouts.

Comment

• omac
                  Special Teams
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Broncosinindy View Post
                  Colt is almost 25 if i read it right. and that he is a system qb.
                  No offense on you, definitely, but I think too many people put too much stock into the system quarterback theory. Here's what June Jones, coach of Hawaii, and former NFL and USFL coach had to say about it ...

Jones, who coached former NFL quarterbacks Jim Kelly, Jeff George and Warren Moon, disagrees with Kiper's assessment.

"Jim Kelly was a product of our system, too," Jones said. "I think that's kind of overrated. I think the reason that's been said is a lot of quarterbacks have played in pass systems, but weren't good enough to play in the NFL. The reason they didn't play in the NFL is they weren't good enough. It had nothing to do with the system."

"I don't care what you say, there's no quarterback as talented and playing like he's playing right now. I wouldn't trade him for anyone else in the country. I don't care what people say, no quarterback has played like he has."
                  -- Hawaii coach June Jones

Comment

• omac
                    Special Teams
                    • Jan 2007

Colt is 23 right now, but will be 24 in a few days. Just like John Beck, he'll be a very old rookie coming out of college. Teams do take age into consideration when it comes to players. It can be a negative, or a positive. Sometimes it has no effect if the player is truly special, (say a top ten talent, but he's 24 years old, if he fills a need take him) but Brennan has a lot of question marks.

I know Hawaii fan faithful don't like to hear it, but he does. I think the guy has first-round potential and could be a nice quarterback for a team - but he's not a realistic top fifteen selection, and unless I was in dire need of a quarterback - I probably wouldn't consider taking him in round one.

Another thing is, most of the playoff teams have good quarterbacks. So, when you get down into the playoff contenders, most teams aren't going to be looking for a quarterback.

Brennan is an enigma, but one I cannot justify as a legitimate top-half of round one selection, especially with how many QB's there are better than him, and the talent in this class.
                    Those are good points and good opinions. And most likely, you're right, he probably won't go in the top 15, nor will he be the 1st QB taken. I think this has more to do with perceptions (system QB, not physically big, weak conference) than talent, skills, or actual production.

One thing for sure, he does perform during the season and during the bowl game. In fact, the phrase the sportscaster used during the bowl game coverage was "as advertised", and that was against a team that was projected pre-season at 16 (Street&Smith) and 28 (SportingNews). I think talent and skills-wise, he's can hold his own with any of the top college QBs.

Comment

• TD Machine
                      Practice Squad
                      • Apr 2006

Just. Sign. A. Freaking. Linebacker.

Receiver?! NO THANKS. Brandon Marshall and Javon are fine with me.

We will need a SAM backer next year, maybe even two, depending on how Golf keeps up. CANT WAIT FOR 08!!! :lol:

Go Broncos.

Comment

Working...
                      X