Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 26 of 26
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Probably Here
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugan View Post
    Again why all the support for Marshall? What is it that makes people think he is going to amount to anything more than a Watts or a Lelie?
    I think the biggest reason is that he came up big for us last year in key situations. His heralded catch and run in the Seattle game almost won that one for us and he displayed excellent ability in the double throw against Cincy. He consistently plays big and outmuscles DBs for the ball, has good hands and has deceptive speed, can play both over the middle and catch the long-ball.

    In contrast Watts couldn't catch, at least not in game situations. And Lelie basically had one dimension which was the occasional long-ball.

    I think its reasonable to have high expectations from him, not only does he have great potential but has displayed some of it on the field as he came on last year. The guy is just injured. Perhaps he can't stay healthy, but I think this would be the biggest knock against him.
    Maybe we should resign Rahim Moore so he could finally get the chance to knock down a Joe Flacco pass?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    6,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugan View Post
    Again why all the support for Marshall? What is it that makes people think he is going to amount to anything more than a Watts or a Lelie?
    I don't like to hear that. It makes me think that if the possability is right about marshall not being anything, then we do in fact have the sorriest group of WR's in the NFL as a unit.

  3. #18
    broncolee is online now
    Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anywhere I want on 18 wheels
    Posts
    8,096
    Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    I find it ironic that you keep stating you see nothing in Marshall, but Hixon will "surprise". Hixon hasn't played a down in the NFL, and as far as training camp goes, it's pretty easy for a WR to line up and run his route without having to actually read the defense. Hixon might do some good things on the return game, but I don't see him even seeing the field on offense.

    Stokley, again, ytou have basically Rod Smith. A very good possession WR who isn't going to take the doubled up and Safety help away from Walker, which is a concern.
    I will address this part of your argument although I disagree with the entire argument. Never once did I say that I see nothing in Marshall. That is as an outright lie to say that I said something like that. I also didn't say that Hixon will surprise people. I said that he could surprise people.

    I think Marshall has a lot of potential but he hasn't proven he's worthy of being the starter. Stokley could very well prove that he's better for the job. Perhaps Marshall will win the job and as I indicated in the previous post, I'm OK with that. So where do get off lying about me saying that I see nothing in Marshall?

    As for Hixon, it's not entirely implausible that he could see time on the offense this year. Marshall saw time as a rookie, why would anyone discount the possibility that Hixon could see time as a second year player who had a lot of time to study the offense last year and is apparently doing very well in training camp? Your assumptions about Hixon make zero sense. I'm not making any assumptions about him. I'm only stating the possibilities based on what has been said about his performance so far during training camp. Maybe once the preseason games start we'll learn that he has a lot of catching up to do before he can think about getting on the field on offense this season. On the other hand, maybe he'll prove he deserves a chance on offense. The possibilities remain open. It's not like a second year player has never started in the NFL before, jeez, rookies have started before. I don't expect Hixon to be a starter, but one never knows until the coach makes the final decision. But if Hixon can do as well in the preseason games as he has apparently done in training camp, I would expect him to see some time on offense this season.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    6,074
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I will address this part of your argument although I disagree with the entire argument. Never once did I say that I see nothing in Marshall. That is as an outright lie to say that I said something like that. I also didn't say that Hixon will surprise people. I said that he could surprise people.

    I think Marshall has a lot of potential but he hasn't proven he's worthy of being the starter. Stokley could very well prove that he's better for the job. Perhaps Marshall will win the job and as I indicated in the previous post, I'm OK with that. So where do get off lying about me saying that I see nothing in Marshall?
    The argument isn't Marshall. The argument is our #2 WR, which you stated. Stokley is NOT a #2 WR. Clearly. He was lousy in Baltimore being groomed as a starter, and he thrived in Indianapolis as a #3 option, when teams were doubling up both Harrison and sometimes Wayne. You cannot have a starting Wr, that poses no threat to the other team. That's one of the reasons why Denver's passing game has been so inconsistnet and sometimes non existent.

    Marshall is the only WR that could become that #2. He displayed that last year when Cutler came in. With his size and speed, which Stokley has nothing, teams will have to pay attention to him.

    IMHO it is extremely important for him to groom into that #2 WR role, or Denver's looking at another stagnant year passing the ball, because of limited options at limited players with explosiveness.

    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    As for Hixon, it's not entirely implausible that he could see time on the offense this year. Marshall saw time as a rookie, why would anyone discount the possibility that Hixon could see time as a second year player who had a lot of time to study the offense last year and is apparently doing very well in training camp? Your assumptions about Hixon make zero sense. I'm not making any assumptions about him. I'm only stating the possibilities based on what has been said about his performance so far during training camp. Maybe once the preseason games start we'll learn that he has a lot of catching up to do before he can think about getting on the field on offense this season. On the other hand, maybe he'll prove he deserves a chance on offense. The possibilities remain open. It's not like a second year player has never started in the NFL before, jeez, rookies have started before. I don't expect Hixon to be a starter, but one never knows until the coach makes the final decision. But if Hixon can do as well in the preseason games as he has apparently done in training camp, I would expect him to see some time on offense this season.

    How does my assupmtion of Hixon make zero sense? You do realize, the skill of recognizing zone/man defense rarely applies to training camp, and that is the biggest jump of any college WR coming to the NFL. That very reason is why so many uber talented recievers bust, because they can't make the adjustment.

    Watts was the #3 his rookie year. He was also siad, by Shanahan, to have the best camp out of any of the WR's last year, and he got cut because he couldn't consistenly catch the ball, which is the very thing Hixon is struggling with.

    Hixon needs to show me something before I'm going to go and assume he's actually fighting for playing time at an upper WR position. The guy was drafted for his return purposes.

  5. #20
    broncolee is online now
    Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anywhere I want on 18 wheels
    Posts
    8,096
    Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    The argument isn't Marshall. The argument is our #2 WR, which you stated. Stokley is NOT a #2 WR. Clearly. He was lousy in Baltimore being groomed as a starter, and he thrived in Indianapolis as a #3 option, when teams were doubling up both Harrison and sometimes Wayne. You cannot have a starting Wr, that poses no threat to the other team. That's one of the reasons why Denver's passing game has been so inconsistnet and sometimes non existent.

    Marshall is the only WR that could become that #2. He displayed that last year when Cutler came in. With his size and speed, which Stokley has nothing, teams will have to pay attention to him.

    IMHO it is extremely important for him to groom into that #2 WR role, or Denver's looking at another stagnant year passing the ball, because of limited options at limited players with explosiveness.




    How does my assupmtion of Hixon make zero sense? You do realize, the skill of recognizing zone/man defense rarely applies to training camp, and that is the biggest jump of any college WR coming to the NFL. That very reason is why so many uber talented recievers bust, because they can't make the adjustment.

    Watts was the #3 his rookie year. He was also siad, by Shanahan, to have the best camp out of any of the WR's last year, and he got cut because he couldn't consistenly catch the ball, which is the very thing Hixon is struggling with.

    Hixon needs to show me something before I'm going to go and assume he's actually fighting for playing time at an upper WR position. The guy was drafted for his return purposes.
    It's laughable how you skirted around the fact that you lied about what I said about Marshall, but whatever.

    I'm not going to debate whether Stokley or Marshall is the one for the job since I don't care which one gets it as long as whoever gets it can get the job done.

    Your assumptions about Hixon make no sense because he's a receiver by trade and could very well prove he deserves playing time on the offense this season. Darrent Williams was drafted for his return skills but ended up seeing plenty of time on defense. What makes you think Hixon can't at least earn a few snaps per game this season? I'm not saying that he will, but he just might.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    6,074
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    It's laughable how you skirted around the fact that you lied about what I said about Marshall, but whatever.
    OK. I'm not skirting, I chose to ignore it.

    The fact that you threw out these comments on Marshall led me to believe otherwise. After all, the argument is the other starting WR.

    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Marshall is a second year player who hasn't even proven himself yet. It makes no sense that people keep touting him as the key to the passing game or the team's success.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I have know idea why people seem to think Marshall is a superstar that the team can't do without. What has he done to earn that kind of status?
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    The way people keep hyping Marshall is as bad as all the Mike Bell lovers who thought he even stood a chance at being the starting RB after Henry was signed.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I think Marshall has a lot of potential but he hasn't proven he's worthy of being the starter.

    So I assumed you thought very little of Marshall. Big deal. Apparently that assumption was as bad as you saying everyone's touting him as the next "superstar", which is far from true also. Being the #2 WR doesn't mean superstar. But, "whatever".

    If Stokley is our #2, that's a scary thing. He doesn't have Harrison or Wayne drawing defenders off of him, or Manning throwing him the ball. After failing miserably as a starter in Baltimore, he ends up in the best possible situation possible in Indy, has 1 great season, gets a serious injury, and then comes to Denver to vie for a starting spot in an incredibly weak WR unit at the moment.

    That doesn't have alot of fans confident in what has been a very anemic or inconsistent passing attack in Denver for how many years now?

    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Your assumptions about Hixon make no sense because he's a receiver by trade and could very well prove he deserves playing time on the offense this season. Darrent Williams was drafted for his return skills but ended up seeing plenty of time on defense. What makes you think Hixon can't at least earn a few snaps per game this season? I'm not saying that he will, but he just might.
    Lets hope he can finish out training camp unlike Darius Watts, and read a defense in an actual game time situation, which alot of the best WR's cannot.

    A guy breaking into a top 2 or 3 position after being drafted for his return game, in his second year after not even playing the first because of a serious injury, only speaks volumes about how poor we are at WR at the moment.

    Yea, our WR game won't be ok until we see it aqctually produce consistently. It hasn't been for how many years now? We haven't exactly had a Martz type person that can make chicken soup out of chicken $hit with the passing attack the last few years.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Locker #55
    Posts
    5,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugan View Post
    He was injured, I dont think that can be understated.

    Yea age is taking its toll as well, but saying he was a shell with out taking into consideration his injury is a mistake.

    That being said, I just listed 4 of the top 6 recievers on the team. Road had 52 I think and Javon had 69.

    So its pretty hard to say Rod was much more than another cog in a broken offense.

    The offense was awful last year, we could have had Chad Johnson and whosyourdaddy with Javon and the offense wouldnt have been much better.

    (opinion)


    Again why all the support for Marshall? What is it that makes people think he is going to amount to anything more than a Watts or a Lelie?
    The problem with our offense to a degree had to do with our horrid special teams play. being backed up in the shadows of our own goal post really limits play calling.

    Elvis Dumervil. i think you have to put on the Cold. I know the kid is only a situational pass rusher and should not have expected more but i wanted to be wrong

    Marcus thomas is right where i thought he would be. i just failed to see how he fits the system. he has Alot of things to work on.

    But to be honest. this team had the same questions it did when it came into camp that it does have going out of it.
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Locker #55
    Posts
    5,015
    Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    OK. I'm not skirting, I chose to ignore it.

    The fact that you threw out these comments on Marshall led me to believe otherwise. After all, the argument is the other starting WR.










    So I assumed you thought very little of Marshall. Big deal. Apparently that assumption was as bad as you saying everyone's touting him as the next "superstar", which is far from true also. Being the #2 WR doesn't mean superstar. But, "whatever".

    If Stokley is our #2, that's a scary thing. He doesn't have Harrison or Wayne drawing defenders off of him, or Manning throwing him the ball. After failing miserably as a starter in Baltimore, he ends up in the best possible situation possible in Indy, has 1 great season, gets a serious injury, and then comes to Denver to vie for a starting spot in an incredibly weak WR unit at the moment.

    That doesn't have alot of fans confident in what has been a very anemic or inconsistent passing attack in Denver for how many years now?



    Lets hope he can finish out training camp unlike Darius Watts, and read a defense in an actual game time situation, which alot of the best WR's cannot.

    A guy breaking into a top 2 or 3 position after being drafted for his return game, in his second year after not even playing the first because of a serious injury, only speaks volumes about how poor we are at WR at the moment.

    Yea, our WR game won't be OK until we see it actually produce consistently. It hasn't been for how many years now? We haven't exactly had a Martz type person that can make chicken soup out of chicken $hit with the passing attack the last few years.
    not to pick on ya but people that pick on stokley is just lame. Stokley was a number three in indy. they have many weapons in indy. i hear alot of people complaining becuase he only had one year with a 1000 yard year. we shouldn't be saying things like this we should be in awe that as a number three he got a thousand yards he is not a good number two but he is a GREAT slot man. and will be very valuable if he can stay healthy
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    6,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosinindy View Post
    not to pick on ya but people that pick on stokley is just lame. Stokley was a number three in indy. they have many weapons in indy. i hear alot of people complaining becuase he only had one year with a 1000 yard year. we shouldn't be saying things like this we should be in awe that as a number three he got a thousand yards he is not a good number two but he is a GREAT slot man. and will be very valuable if he can stay healthy
    I'm not picking on him at all.

    I think he would be a great asset as a #3 WR, and would help the team tremendously.

    I do think if we're looking at him as our #2, then Denver's WR unit is in trouble, IMHO.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Locker #55
    Posts
    5,015
    Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    I'm not picking on him at all.

    I think he would be a great asset as a #3 WR, and would help the team tremendously.

    I do think if we're looking at him as our #2, then Denver's WR unit is in trouble, IMHO.
    My aim maybe off base and i am sorry if it was. but some folks really need to know that Stokley as a number 3 is DOMINANT
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    You're right. Denver should have gone after Bradley Van Pelt again.
    Only if you enjoyed a pure running qb. His passing ablility never showed up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •