Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Based on camp performance, who should/shouldn't be cut?

Just wondering who you all think the underachievers are who should be cut...it's slightly early before we see them in game action but based on camp there are definitly a few players that stick out.

Stephen Alexander- The guy has done absolutely nothing in camp except being the cause of passes being intercepted, there were two of them yesterday! And come on, other than that, how many times have you heard his name period? None...

David Terrell- Has been sporatic at best.

Paul Smith- Haven't heard much out of him and he hasn't done anything of note.

Lamont Reid- Hasn't done anything, I don't even think he has practiced...

Chad Mustard- Hasn't done enough.

Now for the guys who SHOULD make the team based on camp performance.

Jeff Shoate- He's in the highlight reel every day knocking down passes. He had some troubling picking them off but he got one and more followed.

Nate Jackson- I was on the fence about him but after seeing camp I've decided that Stephen Alexander should go, not Nate.

David Kircus- I know he is a bit inconsistent but let's give the guy one more shot, he makes enough plays that he can't be ignored.

anyone have anything to add?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco_Rob View Post
    Just wondering who you all think the underachievers are who should be cut...it's slightly early before we see them in game action but based on camp there are definitly a few players that stick out.

Stephen Alexander- The guy has done absolutely nothing in camp except being the cause of passes being intercepted, there were two of them yesterday! And come on, other than that, how many times have you heard his name period? None...

Jeff Shoate- He's in the highlight reel every day knocking down passes. He had some troubling picking them off but he got one and more followed.

Nate Jackson- I was on the fence about him but after seeing camp I've decided that Stephen Alexander should go, not Nate.

David Kircus- I know he is a bit inconsistent but let's give the guy one more shot, he makes enough plays that he can't be ignored.

Kirus is irrelevant anyways. He's basically fighting for the #5 WR spot.

Nate Jackson should be cut. In fact, Nate Jackson probably should have been cut 2 years ago. Alexander should be our #3 TE.

Shoate. I don't know, Denver has had his rights for 3 or 4 years now and he's yet to play in a game. I think Denver should just cut him and be done with it.

Shoate is playing at a higher level than in previous seasons too...

and as for Nate Jackson, he is vastly outperforming Alexander, mark my words, Alexander will be cut and Jackson will stay. Can Alexander play wide receiver? The simple answer is no, Jackson is the better player with the better value. We have blocking tight ends, Alexander serves no purpose.

I'll let you know my opinion after Monday nights preseason game!!! Practice and camp is one thing it's how well you produce on Game Day!!!
    Broncos Fan/Colorado Native Stuck In VA[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why does everyone dislike nate so much?
    he has been great this training camp.

Does noone really know what a TE is supposed to do on the field? It is only recently that they started being put in passing situations. TE's are there for blocking. If we just wanted one that can catch, we would put in another receiver and not a TE. Alexander is one of the better blocking TE's in this league. With him, we have a 2 TE set that can block extremely well. I repeat, they are not receivers. If they can go catch a pass, all the better. It is not even close to being their main purpose, and that is easily seen by where they line up on the field.

Some coaches would agree with you while most would not. Tight ends are meant for versatility. It is best to have one that can both catch and block but as Nate Jackson has shown, he can be a good backup receiver as well if someone else goes down. Alexander has done nothing but cause interceptions or drop the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by jhns View Post
    Does noone really know what a TE is supposed to do on the field? It is only recently that they started being put in passing situations. TE's are there for blocking. If we just wanted one that can catch, we would put in another receiver and not a TE. Alexander is one of the better blocking TE's in this league. With him, we have a 2 TE set that can block extremely well. I repeat, they are not receivers. If they can go catch a pass, all the better. It is not even close to being their main purpose, and that is easily seen by where they line up on the field.
    Shannon Sharpe isn't going into the HoF for his "mad blocking skillz"

First question: Were you at camp?

-----

Some coaches would agree with you while most would not. Tight ends are meant for versatility. It is best to have one that can both catch and block but as Nate Jackson has shown, he can be a good backup receiver as well if someone else goes down. Alexander has done nothing but cause interceptions or drop the ball.
    So then don't send him on routes. If you want a receiver, then get one. We have 2 good receiveing TE's, we don't need all of them to be receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by jhns View Post
    So then don't send him on routes. If you want a receiver, then get one. We have 2 good receiveing TE's, we don't need all of them to be receivers.
    Same argument could be made the other way.

We have backup tackles who could play blocking tight end. So, why have a tight end who is good at blocking for a tight end, but can't catch.
    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
    . Post Your Artwork .
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Well . . .

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    Kirus is irrelevant anyways. He's basically fighting for the #5 WR spot.

Nate Jackson should be cut. In fact, Nate Jackson probably should have been cut 2 years ago. Alexander should be our #3 TE.

Shoate. I don't know, Denver has had his rights for 3 or 4 years now and he's yet to play in a game. I think Denver should just cut him and be done with it.
    I don't disagree on Alexander. As I mentioned previously, he isn't the best
    receiver, and he isn't the best blocker. But he may be the best combination of
    both.

However, I can't go along with cutting Jackson. Reports out of camp are that
    he is catching everything in the same zip code, and that he has improved
    significantly in blocking. He always has been a good receiver . . . the issue
    was his blocking. If this is the case, then he becomes as valuable as
    Alexander, if not more.

We have enough one-dimension TEs already . . . Graham in blocking (okay
    receiver, I guess, but reports are he has problems getting separation) and
    Scheffler in receiving (may improve in blocking, just as Jackson apparently
    has). So Mustard, terrific blocker that he is, looks to me to be the odd man
    out . . . unless they retry him at tackle, ala Carswell. Little to nothing has
    been said about Teyo Johnson . . . a bad sign for him.

-----
    Last edited by topscribe; 08-10-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal19 View Post
    Why does everyone dislike nate so much?
    he has been great this training camp.
    I was wondering the same thing . . .

-----

Alexander is not getting cut so it really doesn't matter. The coaching staff that has put him at #1 last year and 2 the years before does not agree with you guys. It is good to have one that can receive, but that is all just bonus. If they can't block, they are just a receiver. Alexander is one of the better blocking TE's in the game and has done real well for us. The TE position was is there to help the line out, not to be a big receiving threat. Alexander can catch well enough anyways. He was brought into this league as a receiving TE and he has gotten some catches every year.

They do not have to be Gates to be considered a good TE. People are just obsessed with stats, and the blocking stats are not as pretty. That is the only reason people are paying so much attention to the receiving TE's over the blocking ones. Any coach will tell you that it is far more important for them to block well though. I have seen it a lot on this team. We have had multiple TE's (Jackson for 1) that have been pretty good receivers and bad blockers, and guess what, they didn't play. The ones that are good blockers but bad receivers, you guessed it, still played. I think that pretty much proves the point. Just look at the last 3 years of our TE situation.

Edit: BTW, I am not saying anything about Jackson because I haven't watched him, I am just saying that receiving is not even a portion of a TE's job. That is not what you should be judging them on when saying if they are good or not. I am only saying that Alexander is very valuable to this team and isn't getting cut. Just wanted to clear this up so people don't think I am hating on Jackson.
    Last edited by jhns; 08-10-2007 at 11:13 AM.

i am going to get flamed big time for this, but i dont really like kircus, he is fast and an underdog, and i like rooting for those, but he drops to many passes. we need hands, we got plenty of speed, and route runners, and imo need a reliable set of hands, that wont drop any passes.

i do like nate jax, and would like to see him play, but imo alexander is the better player for our team.

i have always liked shoate, and am gald he is performing, but how much depth do we need there? dr,chmp,dom,pay i suppose one more, but i couldnt tell ya who it should be.

i really like terrell,a s all know, and i would love for him not to be cut, but i dont see it happening. so i agree there.
    For now....
    1. Reuben Badass LB; 2. Joe Mixon RB; 3. Jake Butt TE; 3B Sid Jones DB; 4. Bucky Hoges TE; 6. Ryan Switzer WR. Trade for Sheldon Richardson.