Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Odessa, TX.
    Posts
    11,044
    Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    Kirus is irrelevant anyways. He's basically fighting for the #5 WR spot.

    Nate Jackson should be cut. In fact, Nate Jackson probably should have been cut 2 years ago. Alexander should be our #3 TE.

    Shoate. I don't know, Denver has had his rights for 3 or 4 years now and he's yet to play in a game. I think Denver should just cut him and be done with it.
    I disagree with you about Jackson, he's solid pass catcher and according to Dean its good idea to a few good pass catching tight ends on the roster.
    John 11: 25-27

    My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

    http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

    Thanks Snk16

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by jhns View Post
    Alexander is not getting cut so it really doesn't matter. The coaching staff that has put him at #1 last year and 2 the years before does not agree with you guys. It is good to have one that can receive, but that is all just bonus. If they can't block, they are just a receiver. Alexander is one of the better blocking TE's in the game and has done real well for us. The TE position was is there to help the line out, not to be a big receiving threat. Alexander can catch well enough anyways. He was brought into this league as a receiving TE and he has gotten some catches every year.

    They do not have to be Gates to be considered a good TE. People are just obsessed with stats, and the blocking stats are not as pretty. That is the only reason people are paying so much attention to the receiving TE's over the blocking ones. Any coach will tell you that it is far more important for them to block well though. I have seen it a lot on this team. We have had multiple TE's (Jackson for 1) that have been pretty good receivers and bad blockers, and guess what, they didn't play. The ones that are good blockers but bad receivers, you guessed it, still played. I think that pretty much proves the point. Just look at the last 3 years of our TE situation.

    Edit: BTW, I am not saying anything about Jackson because I haven't watched him, I am just saying that receiving is not even a portion of a TE's job. That is not what you should be judging them on when saying if they are good or not. I am only saying that Alexander is very valuable to this team and isn't getting cut. Just wanted to clear this up so people don't think I am hating on Jackson.


    Well, no, receiving IS a portion of a TE's job. Otherwise, they would just be linemen, and small, weak linemen at that. A TE who is effective as a receiver has qualities that WRs typically do not, such as size and strength for blocking out defenders.

    Nobody here is saying that blocking ISN'T a part of a TE's job...but to say that receiving is way down the list of TE responsibilities is flat out wrong. Need proof? Look at all the "receiving" TEs in the league...don't see coaches cutting them, do you? Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Dallas Clark, Todd Heap...the list keeps going. They seem to be doing alright.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

    "All models are wrong, but some are useful."

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    5,415
    Quote Originally Posted by CSU_stat View Post
    Well, no, receiving IS a portion of a TE's job. Otherwise, they would just be linemen, and small, weak linemen at that. A TE who is effective as a receiver has qualities that WRs typically do not, such as size and strength for blocking out defenders.

    Nobody here is saying that blocking ISN'T a part of a TE's job...but to say that receiving is way down the list of TE responsibilities is flat out wrong. Need proof? Look at all the "receiving" TEs in the league...don't see coaches cutting them, do you? Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Dallas Clark, Todd Heap...the list keeps going. They seem to be doing alright.
    They stay at the TE spot because they can block. If not, they are moved to receiver. Also, there are many receivers with the same size as those TE's. As I said, it is good if they can receive. That still isn't their real job though. If you need proof, look before the last 10 years.

    Seriously, look at all the teams in the league and especially before these past few seasons. Why is it that 80% of the TE's on rosters don't go out and catch balls?
    Last edited by jhns; 08-10-2007 at 11:24 AM.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,414
    I believe that Jeff Shoate is the answer for a 5th corner...we only have 4 standouts right now and Paymah is more special teams than anything. Curome Cox could play corner if we absolutely needed him to by why do that when Jeff Shoate is here...

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Odessa, TX.
    Posts
    11,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco_Rob View Post
    I believe that Jeff Shoate is the answer for a 5th corner...we only have 4 standouts right now and Paymah is more special teams than anything. Curome Cox could play corner if we absolutely needed him to by why do that when Jeff Shoate is here...
    I don't mean to be so disagreeable but I really think Paymah better than just Special Teams player. In my opinion he showed a lot improvement from the year before. Also I like Cox but he doesn't have top end speed.
    John 11: 25-27

    My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

    http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

    Thanks Snk16

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,414
    I agree but Paymah is only played on special teams for the most part.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by jhns View Post
    So then don't send him on routes. If you want a receiver, then get one. We have 2 good receiveing TE's, we don't need all of them to be receivers.
    He's not even that good of a blocker and far from one of the better blocking TEs in the league.

    At one point, he was better than what we had blocking wise, which is more speaking for our lack of blocking talent at TE than Alexander's actual skill at blocking.


    150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

    D.J. 55's Mock Draft:


    Denver Broncos General Manager

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    77
    Just a quick note. Alexander is not one of the better blocking tight ends in the league. He is mediocre at best and was just the "best" blocking tight end the Broncos could put on the field.

    In fact you can blame him for one of Jake's fumbles in the AFCCG.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by jhns View Post
    Alexander is not getting cut so it really doesn't matter. The coaching staff that has put him at #1 last year and 2 the years before does not agree with you guys. It is good to have one that can receive, but that is all just bonus. If they can't block, they are just a receiver. Alexander is one of the better blocking TE's in the game and has done real well for us. The TE position was is there to help the line out, not to be a big receiving threat. Alexander can catch well enough anyways. He was brought into this league as a receiving TE and he has gotten some catches every year.

    They do not have to be Gates to be considered a good TE. People are just obsessed with stats, and the blocking stats are not as pretty. That is the only reason people are paying so much attention to the receiving TE's over the blocking ones. Any coach will tell you that it is far more important for them to block well though. I have seen it a lot on this team. We have had multiple TE's (Jackson for 1) that have been pretty good receivers and bad blockers, and guess what, they didn't play. The ones that are good blockers but bad receivers, you guessed it, still played. I think that pretty much proves the point. Just look at the last 3 years of our TE situation.

    Edit: BTW, I am not saying anything about Jackson because I haven't watched him, I am just saying that receiving is not even a portion of a TE's job. That is not what you should be judging them on when saying if they are good or not. I am only saying that Alexander is very valuable to this team and isn't getting cut. Just wanted to clear this up so people don't think I am hating on Jackson.
    Yeah, theyre so enamored with Alexander that they went out and won a bidding war with Seattle for Daniel Graham. Theyre so pleased with Alexander yet they are now paying Graham 6 million a year. I dont think so. At one point Quentin Griffin was our starting running back. Was he with the team the next season? Alexander may make the team but its not a certainty especially when what he did as a 1st or 2nd string TE is what made them realize they needed to draft a rookie and spend a boatload of money to upgrade the position.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPanther View Post
    Just a quick note. Alexander is not one of the better blocking tight ends in the league. He is mediocre at best and was just the "best" blocking tight end the Broncos could put on the field.

    In fact you can blame him for one of Jake's fumbles in the AFCCG.
    No doubt. If he was so good, why would we spend so much money on Daniel Graham (besides the fact that Ive watched him routinely struggle with blocking over the past couple of years).

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Odessa, TX.
    Posts
    11,044
    Quote Originally Posted by SM19 View Post
    I don't think we have to choose. We can cut both Alexander and Jackson.

    As for David Kircus, you guys don't know what he's capable of.
    Then who do we keep besides Graham and Scheffler? Shanahan as always kept three tight ends on the roster. I not counting Leach as in there because his primary work will be long snapping. I would like see us keep Jackson because I think he can be solid receivng tight end.
    John 11: 25-27

    My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

    http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

    Thanks Snk16

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    9,738

    I really have no opinion of Jackson...

    ...but from what I've read/heard the coach's really love him.

    Which makes me wonder: Why? How long has he been in Denver? I've seen every game, yet I can only remember one stinking catch he's made. And that's only because Adrian Wilson knocked him clear under the bench's of the Broncos sideline.

    He's one of those players Mindfield as talking about that sticks around for no apparent reason.

    Maybe he's a world-class kiss-a$$, like that dude from the Leave it to Beaver re-runs. *shrugs*.....

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Oakland,CA
    Posts
    11,357
    I hate Dallas and the 49ers those guys better show up against both those 2 teams.



    Alexander provides good depth and Nate can do a lot of things,I say they both make the team IMO

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Odessa, TX.
    Posts
    11,044
    Quote Originally Posted by stnzed View Post
    ...but from what I've read/heard the coach's really love him.

    Which makes me wonder: Why? How long has he been in Denver? I've seen every game, yet I can only remember one stinking catch he's made. And that's only because Adrian Wilson knocked him clear under the bench's of the Broncos sideline.

    He's one of those players Mindfield as talking about that sticks around for no apparent reason.

    Maybe he's a world-class kiss-a$$, like that dude from the Leave it to Beaver re-runs. *shrugs*.....
    In don't know Stnzed, roster spots are highly prized commodity. I don't think any head coach is going to keep a guy around just because he kisses up spots on the roster are just to valuable.

    Twice in his four years with the team he's been injured and missed majority of two seasons. And they moved him from being a wide receiver to tight end, that's a big switch.

    Also Keith Burns made a career of being a Special Teamer very rarely did he ever get onto the field as linebacker.

    Hey that's not really fair to compare Nate with Eddie Haskell from "Leave It To Beaver".
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 08-10-2007 at 07:25 PM.
    John 11: 25-27

    My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

    http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

    Thanks Snk16

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    i am going to get flamed big time for this, but i dont really like kircus, he is fast and an underdog, and i like rooting for those, but he drops to many passes. we need hands, we got plenty of speed, and route runners, and imo need a reliable set of hands, that wont drop any passes.

    i do like nate jax, and would like to see him play, but imo alexander is the better player for our team.

    i have always liked shoate, and am gald he is performing, but how much depth do we need there? dr,chmp,dom,pay i suppose one more, but i couldnt tell ya who it should be.

    i really like terrell,a s all know, and i would love for him not to be cut, but i dont see it happening. so i agree there.
    I completely agree with everything you just said. I personally haven't liked kircus since the first preseason game last year where he blamed cutler for the pass he dropped in the endzone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •