Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Henry gives Denver a new dimension

Nice article on Henry.. we got it this year!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...40813162&ATT=S

Travis Henry has everyone talking.

Literally. I mean everyone.
    Last week, Titans players were still burning over losing their running back. On Monday, Seahawks linebacker Lofa Tatupu offered up the nugget out of nowhere that he thinks Henry can rush for 1,600 yards minimum this year.

In Englewood, Colorado, on an overcast Tuesday, you just couldn't get the Denver players or staff to stop talking about the potential impact of the running back.

Think about it.

Mike Shanahan's brilliant offensive system takes backups, fullbacks and Day 2 picks and turns them into household names at the running back position. We are talking Droughns and Anderson and Gary and a late-rounder turned Super Bowl legend named Davis. In Henry, the Broncos get a tough All-Pro runner who was in our opinion the MVP of the Vince Young-led Titans last year. But most importantly he is the ideal fit in Denver's one-cut-and-go rushing attack.

It is one thing to think that Denver general manager Ted Sundquist made a sensational pickup in the off-season.

It's another thing to see it.

On a day in which the Broncos had a hard, crisp, long and seemingly effective morning practice, a wide smile took over Shanahan's face when the coach was asked what he has learned about Henry.

Poll

Coach Shanahan told us, "I've learned he is a true football player. Sure, you study a player on film and think he is a good fit in the system. But you never truly know what you have in a ball player until he is with your players and coaches, until you interact with him day to day. I've been so impressed with Travis' work ethic and play. He really fits in well with our guys. And you see how good he can be in our system during practice."

Veteran receiver Rod Smith is on the Henry bandwagon. The lifetime Bronco told us, "What's amazing is Travis is the total package. I knew he was really good in Buffalo and Tennessee, but you didn't know how good and how smart he was until he got here. We are sitting in meetings and he's saying 'watch this' or 'do that' or 'the blitz is coming from here.' I told him I had no idea how smart he was. He's looking at me like I'm crazy, as if to say, 'Of course, Rod.' But you just don't know until he is your teammate. We are all impressed and excited."

It would be a simplification to say that Tatum Bell and Mike Bell rotated carrying the football for the Broncos last year. In reality, they rotated in and out of the Shanahan dog house. Neither one is a true carry-the-mail back. They put the ball on the ground too often and were too inconsistent.

Enter Travis Henry, who tells us he is at his best the more times he touches the ball.

Last year the Broncos fell short on key third downs. Fullback Kyle Johnson says the problems stemmed from all phases of the offense. Johnson lamented that too often the Broncos fell a single yard short in key spots. From what the fullback has seen in training camp, Henry has the body and fits the system so well that Denver can pick up those yards this year.

His presence helps Denver immensely in two key areas: Jay Cutler's development, and defense.

If you don't believe me, just ask Cutler or All-Pro cornerback Champ Bailey.

With all eyes on the second-year gunslinger, Henry's ability to carry the load takes a major burden off of Cutler. The quarterback tells us that having a running back like Henry will force teams to think run and allow him to go up top to Javon Walker (who looks brilliant in camp) or use Dan Graham, Tony Scheffler or Brandon Stokley over the middle. Cutler is primed for a huge season and Henry's talents are a big reason why.

Champ Bailey had a very serious look on his face when he said, "This was the perfect fit. We've been getting 1,000-yard rushers in Denver who don't have Travis' ability. Our defense was on the field too often last year. Travis can control clock. Travis preserves leads. He lets us take a blow. That is only going to make our defense that much better. Can you imagine Dre (Bly), Dominique (Foxworth) and me rested? Wow."

And the best cornerback in the business says the defense is already feeling what he hopes opposing defenses will have to deal with this year.

Bailey revealed, "Look, you guys saw practice. Coach Shanahan runs a tough and physical practice. It makes you better. And we all kind of looked at each other after the first few times Henry banged into us. He brings it. And it's only practice. "

Henry is just tickled to be a Bronco. After the season he had with the Titans, and the roots he has in Tennessee, he thought he could be in Nashville for life. But Tennessee opted not to pick up his 2007 salary, and as Titans general manger Mike Reinfeldt told us last week, the Broncos offered him more money in free agency than Tennessee was willing to pay.

The running back says he was thrilled Denver called his agent. Henry is even more excited to be playing for a likely future Hall of Famer in Mike Shanahan.

Henry said, "Coach is special. He sees the game 3,4,5 plays ahead. I love his system. I think I am the perfect guy for it. I love how he works us in practice. Over 2 hours this morning. It was tight work. I'm not quite sure I can properly express just how great an opportunity this is for me."

Henry doesn't have to express.

His teammates are more than happy to do it for him.

Henry can express his joy when the Broncos ride his back to the playoffs in 2007

Here's hoping he and our offensive line stay healthy because it sounds like we could return to our dominating run game this year. (Because we all know dropping to #8 in the league was pretty horrible for us last year. )
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

right when i think i'm tired of these offseason articles, one comes along and gets me giddy about what our offense can do this season. which in turn helps the defense, as well.
    Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7703/cheatersty7.jpg
    Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
    Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks
    2 homer quotes for the price of 1! this guy is a goldmine of hilarity

The 1st preseason game can't get here fast enough.

WINS: @Buffalo, Oakland, Jacksonville, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, @Detroit, Tennessee, @Chicago, @Oakland, Kansas City, @Houston, Minnesota

LOSSES: @Indianapolis, @Kansas City, @San Diego

2007-08 Forecast: 13-3

i must say, travis could be our biggest pickup this offseason. without him cutler might have some issues in the passing game. travis just seems like a little bulldog. im very excited to see what he can do here and it's even more exciting to know that travis loves being a bronco.

doesn anyone know if our 1st stringers will play at all on MNF?

if so, 1st qtr or 4th qtr? I WANNA SEE TRAVIS!!!
    Last edited by ozzies94ta; 08-12-2007 at 06:22 AM. Reason: forgot to relate post to thread
    Sept. 10, 2006, Den@StL 10-18, Sept. 28, 2008, Den@K.C. 19-33, Nov. 16, 2014, Den@Stl 7-22 <--Broncos games I've attended

Quote Originally Posted by ozzies94ta View Post
    doesn anyone know if our 1st stringers will play at all on MNF?

if so, 1st qtr or 4th qtr? I WANNA SEE TRAVIS!!!
    They will likely play a couple series, or 10-12 plays at the start of the game.

Thank you Skywalker for the Marshall sig!

Thank you Damien and Darrent for the memories. You will never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by wishb0n3 View Post
    Bailey revealed, "Look, you guys saw practice. Coach Shanahan runs a tough and physical practice. It makes you better. And we all kind of looked at each other after the first few times Henry banged into us. He brings it. And it's only practice. "
    Ahh!

That just gets me pumped. I've always loved watching running backs who aren't afraid to go head-to-head with a defender. It makes for very exciting football.

Thank you Skywalker for the Marshall sig!

Thank you Damien and Darrent for the memories. You will never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    The 1st preseason game can't get here fast enough.
    Are you ready for some Broncos?!?!
    Monday baby! I won't miss a snap.

Its gonna be nice to actually watch Travis,Lepsis,and Graham block for Jay.Those weapons werent there last season.Our offense shoud be impressive.

Are defense should stay fresh

So stoked he's here!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This guy was the biggest offseason aquisition for us. The QBs best friend is a great RB. Philip Rivers, Matt Hasselbeck, and Mark Bulger are all living proof of how easy it is to put up big numbers even if you're not Peyton Manning as long as you have a dominant ground game behind you. Henry is taking nearly all the pressure off of Cutler to win games and placing it firmly on his own shoulders. he came in with the determination to carry this team and I think that, barring injury, he will.

The broncos are a running team and we finally have the stud Buffalo that we've been desperately searching for. It should be a great season to be a Broncos fan.

Travis will express his gratitude by ripping the hearts out of opposing defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    Its gonna be nice to actually watch Travis,Lepsis,and Graham block for Jay.Those weapons werent there last season.Our offense shoud be impressive.

Are defense should stay fresh
    I thought Lepsis wasnt playing in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by wishb0n3 View Post
    Can you imagine Dre (Bly), Dominique (Foxworth) and me rested? Wow."
    i can imagine it...and oh what a great picture it is
    [SIZE="6"][IMG]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2455/champsigmt9.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]

[SIZE="6"][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/EGhatchie94/DJSignature.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]