Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Bell back to #2? + Battered offensive line + More

I hadn't heard that Mike Bell was back up to #2 on the depth chart. Anyway, here's some odds and ends from the Post:
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_6587939

BRONCOS NOTES

Battered and bruised line requires time to get well

Never mind the gimpy receivers. Save the pity for the banged-up group out beyond the hash marks.

A training camp problem just as significant for the Broncos' offense is scrummed near the ball.

Left guard Ben Hamilton has missed significant time with a concussion. Left tackle Matt Lepsis has been out with a pulled groin. Right guard Chris Kuper was replaced on the first-team Monday by Montrae Holland.

Lepsis' injury caused the Broncos to move Erik Pears from right tackle to left tackle one day, then back to right tackle the next. Adam Meadows has been playing whatever tackle position is opposite Pears, and Chris Myers has been filling in for Hamilton. Another backup left tackle, rookie Ryan Harris, hurt his back during the morning workout Thursday.
    The only player who lines up at the same position each day is the 14th-year center.

What would be the best way, Tom Nalen, to describe the current state of the Broncos' offensive line?

"We've got a few guys banged up, but it's still camp," Nalen said. "Eventually, we'll get those guys healed, and if not, some of other guys are getting good reps."

Preseason meaningless

As preseasons go, Mike Shanahan might have his toughest challenge since becoming the Broncos' coach in 1995. He has won at least three preseason games in 11 of his previous 12 years, but because of an inordinate amount of early injuries and roster turnover this year, it's conceivable the Broncos could have, say, a 1-3 preseason. Not that it would mean much heading into the season opener Sept. 9 at Buffalo.

"If you have a 4-0 preseason, it doesn't mean anything," Shanahan said. "You hope to be 4-0 because you always want to win, but not at the expense of giving away your game plan or keeping guys healthy."

The Broncos' 37-15 preseason record under Shanahan might be a testament to their full-speed workouts and ability to find second- and third-team talent. But when the Broncos open their preseason Monday in San Francisco, they will likely play without Lepsis, Hamilton, rookie defensive end Jarvis Moss, top receiving tight end Tony Scheffler and three of their projected top four receivers in Brandon Marshall, Brandon Stokley and Rod Smith.

Bell promoted

After running with the No. 3 offense during the offseason minicamps and through the first 11 days of training camp, Mike Bell became the No. 2 running back Thursday. That leaves him behind starter Travis Henry, but ahead of Cecil Sapp, who had been running with the second unit. Andre Hall appeared to be splitting the third-team reps with Sapp.

Bell feels he is a much improved runner this year.

"The coaches are constantly harping that I have the skills, but I have to be patient," said Bell, who rushed for 677 yards and eight touchdowns as a rookie last season. "This year, I'm able to understand the concept of the offense and get in the flow. A lot of it has to do with watching Travis run amok. He's done such a great job at it, it's helping me and the other backs as well."

Footnotes

David Kircus, fighting for the No. 5 receiver spot, strained his hamstring in the morning session Thursday. ... Former Broncos safety Sam Brandon underwent arthroscopic knee surgery this week. He has not ruled a return to the NFL this season.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

That is interesting, I guess getting demoted to the 3rd team made him really step it up. I hope he keeps up the hard work, it will only make the team that much better.
    [SIZE="4"]Josh McD support since 2009[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Broncos fan since 1979[/SIZE]

Great. Battered and bruised defensive line already.

Hopefully they will get through those knick knack injuries, or Denver will be trying to run an offense with one of the worst oline in the NFL like last year.

I'm still seriously concerned about our oline.

What would be the best way, Tom Nalen, to describe the current state of the Broncos' offensive line?

"We've got a few guys banged up, but it's still camp," Nalen said. "Eventually, we'll get those guys healed, and if not, some of other guys are getting good reps."
    He speaks?

Watch like none of our starters play on MOnday.

Seriously, we need to rest up and heal up. I'd rather be 0-4 ion the preseason and completely healthy during the regular.

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by WCOfan View Post
    He speaks?
    Yeah, the NFL put a shock collar on him.

<ruff><ruff>
    Winter is Coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Snk16 View Post
    Watch like none of our starters play on MOnday.

Seriously, we need to rest up and heal up. I'd rather be 0-4 ion the preseason and completely healthy during the regular.

The flip side is that it is also important for them to develop a rhythm (I hope I spelled that right) in live game situations.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by WCOfan View Post
    He speaks?
    lol....

He does do interviews, he was just on with Mojer on the fan this morning. Its during the season that you do not hear from him. If you remember after the AFC championship game he did an interview as well talking about the loss. He did this because the season was over... So ya... the man does have teeth and he does speak lol...

I didn't see it in this article, but the DP also stated that Shoate was playing as the dime back ahead of Paymah.

Probably another training camp roster shake up by Shanny to light a fire under Paymah.

Who cares about Bell when our offensive line is going to be as bad pass blocking wise as last year?

How is Jay Cutler going to be our Franchise Quarterback if he is spending all his time with Steve Antonopulos putting an ice pack on his head?

This is just great.

How about a magic trick?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWookieeBronco View Post
    Who cares about Bell when our offensive line is going to be as bad pass blocking wise as last year?

How is Jay Cutler going to be our Franchise Quarterback if he is spending all his time with Steve Antonopulos putting an ice pack on his head?

This is just great.

Calm down there chief... Its not labor day weekend yet... All of our guys will be more than ready come the time we play buffalo...

Quote Originally Posted by aaronheeb View Post
    Calm down there chief... Its not labor day weekend yet... All of our guys will be more than ready come the time we play buffalo...
    Kuper not playing well in camp + Lepsis struggling to get back = Cutler with an ice on his head.

(don't take that offensively)

How about a magic trick?

Kuper not playing well in camp + Lepsis struggling to get back = Cutler with an ice on his head.

(don't take that offensively)
    good play on words there.."offensivly"

I wouldnt worry about anything just yet. All the dings to the O-line are fairly minor. Noggins heal, groin muscles heal...its all part of football. I would much rather we get this injury bug out of the way now than when the season starts.

And from the sounds of it, we could have some O-line players that play more than one position. That's saying something. It means our O-line knows what they need to do on the left and right side of the ball, and can fill in where needed.

I'm not worried.

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

Quote Originally Posted by BroncFanIN View Post
    good play on words there.."offensivly"

I wouldnt worry about anything just yet. All the dings to the O-line are fairly minor. Noggins heal, groin muscles heal...its all part of football. I would much rather we get this injury bug out of the way now than when the season starts.

And from the sounds of it, we could have some O-line players that play more than one position. That's saying something. It means our O-line knows what they need to do on the left and right side of the ball, and can fill in where needed.

I'm not worried.

No play on words intended.

Well I have never been a fan of our offensive line. There is no doubt that Lepsis is struggling and for Shanahan to put Montrae Holland in it means that Chris Kuper must have been playing really bad. I guess I am more comfortable with our offensive line than I have been in the past but I am still not sure if our pass blocking is good enough and having our best pass blocker, by FAR, struggling to get back from a bad injury puts doubts in my mind. Having your possible starting RG pulled out for Montrae Holland really doesn't help your confidence in the offensive line either.

How about a magic trick?

No play on words intended.

Well I have never been a fan of our offensive line. There is no doubt that Lepsis is struggling and for Shanahan to put Montrae Holland in it means that Chris Kuper must have been playing really bad. I guess I am more comfortable with our offensive line than I have been in the past but I am still not sure if our pass blocking is good enough and having our best pass blocker, by FAR, struggling to get back from a bad injury puts doubts in my mind. Having your possible starting RG pulled out for Montrae Holland really doesn't help your confidence in the offensive line either.
    When you say "never" do you mean about this year's line or the Broncos' line under Shanny? Because the Super Bowl teams had a freaking awesome line.

If you're talking about this year's line, I kind of agree. At least, I haven't really known what to expect because of the changes, although I won't get pessimistic unless we see them all healthy and they're still struggling.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"