Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazieAzianTKE View Post
    Dog on me if you want, but all I have to say is that im glad he's on both of my fantasy teams.

no doggin' from me - he moved waaaay up on my draft roster cheat sheet after last night
    [IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii76/thatlldo4rio/bcs_funny.jpg[/IMG]

Offense:

Henry is a straight up machine. He was blowing guys up on the few carries he did have...I loved every minute of it. This was also without two of our best linemen on the left side...get well soon Matt and Ben!

There just weren't enough pass plays to really evaluate the passing game (first team especially). Shanny was running on 3rd and four half the time so it wasn't really a good representation of what the team would do in a real game situation. Remember, the playbook is extremely Vanilla in the preseason. Heck, I don't remember us using any motion (SF used it a lot though) and very little play action which are our bread and butter.

With our 4th-5th WR on the depth chart (Hixon) starting at the #2 spot, there wasn't really a good representation out there. I didn't see anything special with Hixon or Clark enough to impress me or think they're taking anyone's spot right now. Morgan looked solid, though and caught everything thrown at him.

I felt kinda bad for Ramsey because the niners were blitzing the crap out of him (something you don't see often in preseason), NTM he doesn't have much experience and neither do our backup O-line playing against a 3-4 front. Practice with Dallas this week should help.

Hackney is short, but HUGE. The guy has some guns! I felt kind of bad for him, too because he kept slipping on his back foot in his drop back. he showed good zip and accuracy in the short game, though.

Defense:

Hmm, where do I start? The DL seemed to do okay getting pressure during passing downs (4 sacks and several QB pressures) but they haven't adapted to the scheme yet to stop the run. Every running play, the DEs went wide and rushed upfield as they should but the DTs were getting blown off the ball and the RB would just run to the spot vacated by the DE.

The LBs were frankly, horrible. They looked lost out there and seemed to be waiting for the RB to get to them 7-8 yds in the defensive backfield before they'd attempt to make a tackle. Every time the QB was pressured by the front four he would just dump it off to a RB or TE who was WIDE OPEN (nobody within 15 yards) who kept converting first downs. They were a non factor in both the running game and the passing game. Nate Webster played with a lot of speed and heart, but he was the only LB that ever really got involved on a regular basis. I saw DD Lewis on the field more than anyone and he always seemed to be standing around watching things happen. This unit must improve drastically by opening day. I'm not used to having poor LB play in Denver.

The secondary was average. Nothing special. Two INTs that were, if anything, giftwrapped. Abdullah and Cox played well in run support (because the LBs weren't) and the secondary as a whole didn't allow the deep stuff, which is good. The underneath stuff, the dink and dunk, was working all night, though.

STs:

This is still a major problem. Morgan's long return aside, the rest were sub-par (it looked like bad blocking to me - Morgan was being challenged by opposing defenders at our 10 yd line during kickoff returns and forced to commit? Terrible!). Kick coverage was lacking, also. They were starting drives around the 35 yd line every time and there was one where Sauerbrun himself had to knock the guy out of bounds at around the 40(which I loved to see him do, BTW). Hopefully, this unit will get beter as the final roster begins to take shape. We definitely need to do better here, also.
    Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 08-14-2007 at 08:44 AM.

Flashes of promise in victory for Broncos

Top offense scores a TD; Warren's status still unclear

By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
    August 14, 2007
    Broncos-49ers box score
    SAN FRANCISCO — Call it the good, the not so good and the unknown.

The Broncos left the Bay Area with all of it stuffed in their luggage Monday night after they opened the preseason with a 17-13 victory against the San Francisco 49ers at Monster Park.

The starting offense was good, the run defense not so good and there is roughly 330 pounds worth of unknown in the form of defensive tackle Gerard Warren's future with the team.

The Broncos were working to trade Warren, who is entering his third year with the team and signed a $36 million deal with the team before the 2006 season.

The Broncos left Warren in Denver because the team believed a trade was imminent, and coach Mike Shanahan wouldn't say after the win if Warren still would be with the team today or make the trip to Dallas when it leaves this afternoon for a week.

But Shanahan met with Warren to apprise him of the possibility of a trade before the team left for San Francisco.

"I'm not going to get into detail, but we thought we had a trade done and I'll talk about a little bit more (Tuesday) and things are finalized," Shanahan said. "We kept him home because we thought there was a trade."

Reminded he wouldn't be available today, Shanahan said, "Well, then I'll talk to you Wednesday."

Amon Gordon started in Warren's right defensive tackle spot against the 49ers.

Warren, despite the fact Shanahan said he was healthy, did not practice in either of two workouts Friday.

According to two league sources contacted Monday night, the Broncos had spoken with at least Miami and Washington about a trade.

Broncos assistant head coach/defense Jim Bates is a former Miami assistant and the Broncos have made the Redskins a frequent trading partner in recent years. Warren certainly would fit Washington assistant head coach Gregg Williams' defensive scheme.

The Broncos also are believed to have at least contemplated releasing Warren if no deal can be worked out, and there are some in the organization who believe Warren still could remain on the roster if no deal is struck.

The Broncos were to return to Denver after the game — with a scheduled arrival about 1 a.m. — and were set to leave for Dallas this afternoon.

"I don't think any of us know what's going to happen right now," safety John Lynch said of Warren. "Honestly, when he didn't practice this past week, very much there was a part of me that thought something was up. But we just don't know right now."

On the field, the Broncos used two touchdown drives on their first three possessions of the game — the first coming on the starting offense's only work of the evening — for the bulk of their scoring.

The starters bashed 67 yards down the field in eight plays, finishing things with a 1-yard run by Travis Henry.

Henry rushed for 27 yards on his five carries and broke several tackles along the way, giving the Broncos exactly the kind of power with the ball they had hoped for when they signed him in March.

A 9-yard run around the left side of the Broncos line was of particular interest when Henry battered two 49ers defenders before being pulled to the ground.

"That one he had around the left-hand side, there's not a lot of human beings that can make that run," Shanahan said. "That gives you an idea of the capabilities he has."

"And after that was the first (touchdown) for me in Denver, so it felt good," Henry said. "That first drive, that felt really great to me."

Overall, the Broncos rushed for 182 yards on 35 carries — a 5.2-yards average.

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler completed 1-of-2 passes, with his only completion going for 24 yards to Javon Walker, which also was Walker's only catch of the game.

Patrick Ramsey, in his first season as the Broncos' No. 2 quarterback, finished 4-of-10 for 45 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

The Broncos added their only other points with 4:46 remaining in the third quarter, when rookie kicker Brandon Pace closed a 12-play drive with a 26-yard field goal to push the Broncos' lead to 17-13.

In the end, though, Shanahan singled out the Broncos' run defense as the evening's biggest trouble spot. The 49ers, with Frank Gore sitting out with a fractured bone in his right hand, still rushed for 144 yards.

That total included 55 yards by rookie Thomas Clayton, 30 yards from Maurice Hicks and 25 yards from former Penn State quarterback Michael Robinson.

"Obviously, we've got a long ways to go with our rush defense," Shanahan said. "They ran the ball extremely well and, obviously, we've got to get better in that area."

D.D. Lewis, who has drawn raves for his work in recent practices with his speed to the ball, started at strong-side linebacker on the first-team defense.

Lewis, Nate Webster and Warrick Holdman opened training camp competing for the job, but Holdman now likely will miss the season after being told not to participate on the field for at least three months because of a neck injury he suffered early in camp.

Broncos players will go over the video of Monday night's game at an 11 a.m. meeting with their coaches; injured players will receive treatment; then the team will return to Denver International Airport to board a chartered flight to Dallas.

The Broncos will practice with the Cowboys on Wednesday and Thursday — two practices each day — with Denver scheduled to practice by itself twice Friday.

The Broncos will face the Cowboys on Saturday night in a preseason game.
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...672128,00.html

How about a magic trick?

A Great Summary Of The Denver-49ers Game

Here is a good read on our team after the game

http://broncotalk.net/2007/08/bronco...view/#more-162

<- Ready for the salute
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
    The person that impressed me the most was Travis Henry. He was going downhill on every play just about. He is going to have a great year running the ball. I was sure impressed by him. I was impressed by all of our RB's though but Henry stood out the most.

Jay Cutler looked alright. He wasn't outstanding like some people think but he was alright. He gave me a scare when he took off and ran but that was good awareness on his part. That one pass that short-hopped was pretty horrible. But I look forward to seeing more from him in the Dallas series.

Our WR's looked pretty good with thier routes and getting open. They are pretty much the walking wounded though.

I didnt get to see much of Graham to know what he looked like.

But our first team offensive went down the field and scored at will which is good and I look for them to avg 30 ppg this year.

Our Defense looked horrid IMO. The first few drives we let them march down the field. We couldnt stop the run. Alex Smith was passing on us at will making some great throws and threading our defense. Were doing that bend but dont break thing again. Thats only good for a matter of time. Like 13 or 14 different players caught a pass for them. I didnt get to see much of Dre. But the 2 defensive standouts for me were Hamza and Cargile.

I think the Defense will give up an avg of 17 ppg.

Sauerbraun is Sauerbraun and Did a nice job punting.

I wouldnt say Brandon Pace was great. He made a 25 yard FG. If you want to think about making an NFL Roster then you should make that kick.

Overrall I'd give our team a C for the game.
    We wernt great and we weren't completely horrible.

It sure was nice to see them back out there and playing.

Hopefully we win it all for D-will and D-nash.

So long to Pre-season game #1
    He was a beast flat out. The absolute perfect back for the broncos scheme. If you want to teach some one about 1 cut down hill running. You have him watch Henry. Great effort and should help open a lot of things for Cutler in the regular season.

I was at the game watching. When Cutler throw the ball in the ground... no one was open. Niners called a perfect Deffensive play for that offensive play. I think that was a great veteran move. I thought he handled the ball great from center and the one pass he attempted for a receiver was perfect.

I guess he could have bought a little more time but our offensive play was broke from the beginning.

Henry's night short, sweet

New Broncos back shows some pop in exhibition win

By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News
    August 14, 2007
    SAN FRANCISCO - Training camp was only a few days old and Travis Henry had experienced some decent moments running out of his new backfield.
    Except it already had become obvious.

Without full pads, sans all-out takedowns by his own defense, Henry couldn't be entirely evaluated. His bruising style between the tackles, the full head of steam approaching a defender were missing against teammates.

So, then, was the grit he's expected to bring to the Broncos.

"That's me," Henry said with a grin at the time. "If you look at my career, that's been my forte. I get the ugly 2, the ugly 3, 10. One thing I can say is when you get yards like that, you get those uglies, and that 60-yarder will open up if you do the dirty work first."

Henry finally got messy Monday night in the preseason opener against the San Francisco 49ers. Only his theory was turned upside down.

He got the big yards to start, beginning with an 11-yard rumble over the right side, then went the short route with a 1-yard bull rush up the middle for a touchdown to end his only drive.

He finished with five carries for 27 yards in the Broncos' 17-13 victory at Monster Park.

"If we have to judge by that one series, then it's going to be a good season for him and everybody's got a lot to look forward to," tight end Daniel Graham said of Henry's production on the eight-play drive.

Quarterback Jay Cutler's 24-yard strike over the left seam to receiver Javon Walker was made possible in part by Henry's help in pass protection on a linebacker blitz.

Henry then showed some pop when he powered through two 49ers players, turning a short gain into a 9-yard carry.

"Not a lot of human beings can make that run," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "It gives you an indication of what kind of capabilities he has."

The "uglies" to which Henry referred were the most appealing to a Broncos team looking to establish a physical presence on regular-season Sundays.

Henry's quick work on the goal line against the 49ers, capped by his touchdown run, stood in sharp contrast to the Broncos' red-zone performance against San Francisco in the regular-season finale last season.

That previous effort in December - there were three goal-to-go situations and three field goals in a 26-23 overtime loss that knocked the Broncos out of the playoffs - was a big reason Henry was pursued.

On Monday night, Henry failed on his first short-yardage attempt on first-and-goal. Henry tried to get low and push the pile but couldn't escape rookie Patrick Willis leading a 49ers swarm. But Henry followed left tackle Erik Pears in for the touchdown on the next play as the Broncos capped the 67-yard drive, then got much of the first unit off the field.

"My adrenaline was pumping," Henry said. "It was like a regular-season game for me because I was excited to be out there with my new teammates. I just wanted to go out and show them how I'm going to do and how I'm going to work every game and every practice to get better and help this team."

The Broncos also received strong play from the players competing to be Henry's backup as they rolled up 182 rushing yards.

Cecil Sapp (11 carries, 50 yards) took over for Henry on the second series, then alternated possessions with Mike Bell (10 for 51). Both looked sharp and decisive in their cuts, with Bell showing good speed to the edge.

The Broncos finished with a 5.2-yard rushing average, with six of eight players recording at least one carry of 10-plus yards.

That total included a 16-yard scramble by Cutler that sent his helmet flying and set up Henry at the doorstep for his goal-line tries.

And in the end, "We came out and established that we're going to be a running team," Graham said, pointing in particular to the opening drive that included only two pass attempts.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...672129,00.html
    Travis Henry is looking VERY good. I think we have something really special on our hands.

How about a magic trick?

He looked AWESOME, the whole starting offense did as well, bring on the regular season

Elam's kick??

Do you think it was pre-season jitters or is this ball holder thing a bigger problem then I thought. I looked around and can not find much on it. Anyone have some inside.
    Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

It was one kick.... nothing big I'm sure everything will be worked out before game 1 of the season. Nothing to get over excited about the man is human you know!!!
    Broncos Fan/Colorado Native Stuck In VA[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Run Defense

Was anyone else a little weary about our run-d? It looked like we were getting destroyed on the ground, of course Look who was starting. Are those guys going to be our starting front four?

Quote Originally Posted by broncos0707 View Post
    Do you think it was pre-season jitters or is this ball holder thing a bigger problem then I thought. I looked around and can not find much on it. Anyone have some inside.
    I was abit shocked when Elam missed it. I didn't see how far it was from though so...

I think he is just having to get new to a new holder, hopefully he can sort it out before the season.

How about a magic trick?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceleo View Post
    It was one kick.... nothing big I'm sure everything will be worked out before game 1 of the season. Nothing to get over excited about the man is human you know!!!
    He's not human,He is a freek of nature. He never misses for that distance.
    Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dman444 View Post
    Was anyone else a little weary about our run-d? It looked like we were getting destroyed on the ground, of course Look who was starting. Are those guys going to be our starting front four?

It's just the first game of the year, and a preseason game at that!

I'll be worried if it isn't any better when the games count.

I'm not sure Denver ever had the talent to dominate, even before the Warren/trade rumors/reality, so you might want to curb your expectations.

And I would expect Kennedy or someone to take Gordons starting job. The thing that has me worried is with the DE's splitting so wide the 49ers just ran draw plays as the RDE took himself out of the play....
    Last edited by stnzed; 08-14-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Here IS a GOOD ARTICLE ABOUT THE DENVER BRONCOS AFTER THE GAME

Here is a good read and overview on our players after the game

http://broncotalk.net/2007/08/bronco...view/#more-162

Quote Originally Posted by jcdavey View Post
    expectations after a preseason game are kinda funny

michael turner had 4 carries for 27 yards and us charger fans kinda thought he underperformed

henry has 5 for 27 and all of the sudden he's #1 in the nfl

it's just funny , preseason
    Don't be mad because someone is taking some of the shine away from your beloved LT!!!! I think this is going to be a great fit for Henry and that he is going to shine this year. He is going to be a very worthy running back to have not only on the field for Denver but on the roster for all you Fantasy Football Fans!!!!
    Broncos Fan/Colorado Native Stuck In VA[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]