calibroncogrl47 Guest

Broncos trying to help Rosalind Williams cope

Irving, Texas - Rosalind Williams was going to allow herself to watch the first quarter of the Broncos' preseason opener without her son.

"I think that's all I can handle today," she said from her Fort Worth home half an hour before Denver played Monday night at San Francisco.

It's all day to day for Williams, whose only child, Darrent - the Broncos' popular, starting right cornerback - was shot and killed at age 24 in the early hours of Jan. 1 after attending a New Year's Eve party in Denver just hours after the Broncos' final game of the 2006 season.

Sounding strong and happy this week, Williams said she still has good days and bad days. When told how well she sounded, she said, "You caught me on a good day."

She deals with her feelings and copes with her grief differently each day. She has known for two months that the Broncos - she remains close to many of the team's coaches and players - are going to be in the area this week to practice with the Dallas Cowboys and play them Saturday night at Texas Stadium. Yet she still doesn't know whether she wants to see the Broncos.
    "Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't," Williams said. "It all depends on how I feel."
    Several members of the Broncos, including coach Mike Shanahan, have reached out to Williams in recent days.

"I think a lot of the guys are really excited to see Rosalind," said cornerback Domonique Foxworth, who was one of Darrent's closest friends in Denver. "She is an incredible lady and a lot of us really have relied on her strength."

The feeling is mutual. "The Broncos have been great to me," Williams said. "They're all very good people."

Williams' circle of support has extended beyond her family and friends in Texas and her NFL family in Denver. Through Darrent's agents, Jeff Griffin and Troy Asmus, she was put in contact with Joan Hall, the mother of Atlanta Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall. Her son, Kevin Smith, was shot and killed at age 24 in 1994. DeAngelo Hall was 11 when his brother was murdered.

DeAngelo Hall's mother helps with his anti-violence foundation. Hall said he is friends with Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker, who was with Darrent Williams when he was murdered, and cornerback Dré Bly, who has replaced Williams in the lineup. Hall said they encouraged him to get his mother in touch with Rosalind Williams. Now the two women talk regularly.

"She has helped me out so much," Rosa- lind Williams said. "She is someone who understands what I have been through."

Joan Hall has five other children she has been able to focus on. She said she feels for Rosalind Williams, who lost her only child.

"It's been 13 years for me and I still am going through my healing process and it will never completely go away," Hall said from her Virginia home. "Rosalind and I talk about feelings and emotions only parents of murdered children know. We share a special closeness and bond that only we can understand. If she needs me, she knows I'll always be there for her."

Williams said the outreach of the entire NFL community since her son's death has been overwhelming. League commissioner Roger Goodell, who attended Darrent's funeral just miles from where the Broncos are staying this week, has kept in touch and had Rosalind Williams film a message about safety that will be shown to every NFL team this year. Williams said she will feel close to the NFL forever, especially to the Broncos.

"They'll always be with me," she said. "To have them in Dallas will be hard, but it also will be very nice to have them here

Great find. What an amazing woman!!

CP coming your way.

Thanks so much for posting this Cali
    http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/787...sigxwaaea9.jpg

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

calibroncogrl47 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 32-33Champs View Post
    Great find. What an amazing woman!!

CP coming your way.
    I agree, she is.. and so strong!

That was a nice article. Thanks for posting.
    R.I.P
    #27 Darrent Williams
    #29 Damian Nash

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...ucket/kobe.jpg
    Thanks MasterShake for the sig

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8...anscottck7.png

http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=75582

Mother of slain Bronco to visit practice on Thursday

The mother of slain cornerback Darrent Williams says she'll visit the Denver Broncos when they practice with the Dallas Cowboys in Irving, Texas, on Thursday.

Rosalind Williams told The Associated Press from her home in Fort Worth that she decided to accept coach Mike Shanahan's invitation even though she knows it will be emotionally difficult to see the team for the first time since her son's funeral eight months ago.

The Broncos are practicing with the Cowboys this week in preparation for their game Saturday at Texas Stadium, not far from where they attended Williams' funeral.

Williams was slain on New Year's Day in Denver in a drive-by shooting that remains unsolved.

"It's difficult to see them, difficult knowing they're in town," Rosalind Williams told The AP on Wednesday night. "But I feel good they're near and they're close. That makes me feel good. I'm going to visit them tomorrow.

"I don't know what I'll tell them. Just seeing them, them seeing me, being able to see each other and hug each other will speak volumes," she added. "There may or may not be words. Just seeing each other is going to be a lot of therapy. It will give us all strength."

At the NFL's request, Rosalind Williams taped a message that was shown to all 32 NFL teams this preseason during the league's annual player safety meetings. She said her message was: "Never think you're too safe. Always be careful of your surroundings and be aware of your surroundings."
    Her son was killed when his limousine was sprayed with bullets minutes after leaving a New Year's Eve party at a club in downtown Denver.

There are several suspected gang members in custody on federal drug charges that police believe have information on who pulled the trigger and killed the 24-year-old cornerback who had just completed his second year in the NFL.

Williams' mother said the family understands the difficulty in getting witnesses to cooperate because of the specter of gangs but has faith that his killer will be charged and convicted.

"We understand that because it was such a cowardly act, it's hard to pinpoint one gunman. He was in a vehicle driving by and rolling down the window, there were several people in the vehicle and they didn't catch them that night so they couldn't do the hand (gun powder) test on anyone," she said. "So, we understand that as a family. However, I have no doubt they'll be brought to justice."

For as hard as it may be for Rosalind Williams to visit the Broncos, just think how hard it is for them to see her. I'd say especially Javon and Brandon. The three of them need each other. I feel that they need this meeting.
    I am amazed at how well Rosalind seems to be coping. I understand that she'll never be completely ok, but she's trying. She's not giving up. She is amazing. But reading things like this make me wish that they would hurry up and find Darrent's killers. Putting them to justice won't change a thing, but it'll help.
    I wonder how Darrent's kids are doing. And although Rosalind lost her only son, at least (and although this is something that makes this whole thing sadder) he left behind his two children, her grandchildren. He, at the very least, left us all two living reminders of his goodness and awesomeness. (I pray that nothing ever happens to those two kids, Rosalind has had too much heartache to lose them too.)
    I just wish the best for everyone in the end.

Now I'm done. And I hope I made sense.

Darrent Williams' Mom Visits With Broncos In Texas

Great Story and Video -
    http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/loc...228072148.html

calibroncogrl47 Guest

Emotional Day!!!!

Irving, Texas - Javon Walker walked away from the woman he will forever be connected to, dropped his head, then lifted his T-shirt to wipe his eyes.
    Emotions were deep and tears were plentiful Thursday as Darrent Williams' mother, Rosalind, bravely spent the afternoon with the teammates of her slain son. The meeting culminated a taxing week for Rosalind Williams, who went back and forth wrestling whether she could even muster the courage to face her son's friends.

Wednesday night, Williams thought she could face the team. Early Thursday morning, the Fort Worth resident wasn't up for the short drive to the Broncos' morning practice with the Dallas Cowboys in Irving.

All it took was a casual lunch with coach Mike Shanahan and several players to coax her. At the urging of safety John Lynch, who attended the lunch with Williams and about 15 family members, she summoned the bravery to watch the team's afternoon practice.

"It was special," Williams said. "I have a lot of support here."

Thursday's visit was the first time she had seen the team since Darrent Williams' funeral Jan. 6 in Fort Worth. Darrent Williams was shot and killed in a rented limousine in downtown Denver after attending a New Year's Eve party. He died in the arms of Walker, who was next to him in the limo.

Near the end of the afternoon practice, Walker went over to the Williams family as they sat in some shaded bleachers. And he brought a friend, Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens. Walker and Williams hugged; it was the first time they had seen each other since the memorial service Jan. 3 at Dove Valley. Walker did not attend the funeral.

Owens gave Williams an autographed football and asked the lifelong Texan if she was a Cowboys fan. She laughed and said she was but that she is also a Broncos fan "because of all of these people."

At the conclusion of the workout, Lynch took Williams to the team huddle. Shesaid a few words, then broke the practice with her son's famous words, "All ready." Darrent Williams often broke a defensive-backs huddle with the words that have become a battle cry at Dove Valley.

"It's somebody who's a part of your family," Shanahan said. "She's going to be a part of us for the rest of her life."

Shanahan left the practice field arm in arm with Williams. Williams then went to the team buses and hugged several players. She left in tears.
    "It was an emotional but great day," Darrent Williams' uncle, Demond Williams, said. "Rosalind didn't really want to be here to be a distraction, but it was important for everyone that she was here."

When Williams arrived for lunch with the team, she was greeted by defensive backs Domonique Foxworth, Hamza Abdullah, Curome Cox and Dré Bly, who was brought to Denver to replace her son. Williams brought "thank you" cards for Shanahan, some players and one for the entire team.

Demond Williams isn't sure whether he can find the strength to go to Saturday's Broncos- Cowboys preseason game, but Rosalind Williams has said she will not attend.

"It's just been a tough year," Demond Williams said.
    While the family still deals with the emotions of their loss, they are dealing with red tape as well. Darrent Williams' Parker home is set to be foreclosed later this month because his mortgage hasn't been paid since February, Demond Williams said. However, all of Williams' assets are in probate and are frozen. The family is trying to figure out a way to save the home in the meantime.

"She is doing so well," cornerback Champ Bailey said. "Just to see her here really charges our batteries."

Thank you for the post. Great article!
    [IMG]http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6024/chrismyerssig2sn6.jpg[/IMG]
    [COLOR="Navy"]sig by bearbroncoilly[/COLOR]

[CENTER][COLOR="Navy"][B]SMILE, IT IS CONTAGIOUS![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]