Which Draftees' Stock Is Rising and Falling This Offseason (Prior To The Draft)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

Which Draftees' Stock Is Rising and Falling This Offseason (Prior To The Draft)

April 23-25th is when it all happens. The 2020 Draft Class moves forward, some relegated to Undrafted status. Each year there are players that rise or fall in status, and for many, it has already begun. It may have started a long time back. But as we near The Draft, with The Combine, FA, and a plethora of interactions/try outs with teams, individual stock can even get "volatile", if something happens that is unexpected. Positive and negative. I can give plenty of examples over the years, how one event, or piece of info, changed things dramatically for a player. Lets just stay positive and focus on how Julio Jones' stock catapulted thanks to an amazing combine, which translated to a major draft trade!

Sometimes it is more subtle, like team needs that override value at some point.

Anyway....I am starting this list today with more of an observational expectation, based on the "need" aspect alone. I am getting more educated in who these young players are, and what they bring, though I am not a student of college football. This year I realize one thing certain, that Chase Young is going to be drafted very, very early, and is considered by most folks I read as the #1 talent in this class. Who would not want a stud Edge??!! Expectations are that he goes 2, unless a serious trade takes place.

Then I look down the list and it appears that there is not another Pass Rushing threat until the 20s (per D Jeremiah). Now that's not bad, but names like Epenesa, Chaisson and Davidson do not ring loud and clear to me yet. Possibly this is a weak Edge kind of year, once you get past the stud Young. But something tells me teams are going to cringe a little, and "need" a pass rusher, because after all, excellent pass rushers are like gold in a QB driven league!

So here's my take....whether or not these 3 players deserve to move up, I have a hunch that at least one of them will end up in the top 15, because there is an apparent shortage of rushers in the early part of this draft, and teams NEED pass rushers!

Lets see how this plays out.

Look forward to your views on player stock, from now til the end of April!
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

And yes....I think at least one QB will get drafted too high!

Comment

• Broncosohio87
      Practice Squad
      • Jan 2020

Laviska Shenault. I see this kids stock soaring.

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Broncosohio87 View Post
        Laviska Shenault. I see this kids stock soaring.
        If you are correct, and you very well could be, that would mean at least 4 stud WRs to choose from, followed by a load of almost stud WRs.

Can you tell I am super excited about this WR class, and the vibe around it!!

And as we have discussed in some places, the speed of some of these WRs might convert one or more of them into "WE REALLY WANT THIS GUY" status, if they show themselves to be good route runners and have decent hands.

Comment

• atwaterandstir
          Football Immortal
          • Jul 2012

Adam Trautman - Dayton Flyers
          Trautman didn't face great competition and wasn't asked to block much, but he is a QB/TE convert who looks like a really good athlete. I wouldn't be surprised to see him really get his name out this week and in the weeks coming. He looks like Hunter Henry to me, I think he's going to be pretty good.

Comment

• CanDB
            Football Immortal
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
            Adam Trautman - Dayton Flyers
            Trautman didn't face great competition and wasn't asked to block much, but he is a QB/TE convert who looks like a really good athlete. I wouldn't be surprised to see him really get his name out this week and in the weeks coming. He looks like Hunter Henry to me, I think he's going to be pretty good.
            Great TEs are rarified air, and if you find one, you snatch them up. If this guy has most (or all) of the goods, he could do very well this draft.

Comment

• CanDB
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2008

I did not watch the entire Combine, but here's who rose or slid some, based on what I saw/read:

Rising

- Simmons did not have to rise much, but his athleticism will pretty much guarantee an even higher draft spot

- Wirfs was the guy I will remember most in the Oline drills. Fast, strong, powerful legs! He may end up top 10 as a result.

- Herbert had a good combine, and will keep in in the early mix of QBs.

- I don't think CeeDee Lamb needs any help, but I believe he leaves this week as the #1 overall WR pick. Having said that, The WRs were as advertised, a talented/deep group!

- And I can not let this go without mentioning a fellow canuck, Chase Claypool, who had a fabulous Combine! He's a big WR, at 6'4" / 238 lbs and ran a 4.42 and had a vertical of 40+. These stats make him comparable to Calvin Johnson, given size and results. His stock will rise.

Sliding

I do not have much to offer on this side, at this point. Clearly anyone who had a slower 40 for example, needs to reassure everyone that they are who they saw on tape. And some players who did not participate might wish they had, though it's hard to tell at this time.

One player who may slide a bit, no fault of his own, is Shenault, given he needs core muscle surgery, and therefore will be recovering from surgery to The Draft. But he will probably end up a 2nd rounder, given how many good WRs there are....not so much because he ran a less than impressive 40 (though obviously hampered). BUT if he falls, I'd love for us to wait it out, and select him. And for his sake, I hope the slide (if any) is minimal. He'll be healthy in a couple of months.
              Last edited by CanDB; 03-02-2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• CanDB
                Football Immortal
                • Mar 2008

I have to add another canuck to the list:

Neville Gallimore...who showed the best of the DTs at The Combine (per one NFL.com analyst). Here's the description:

Gallimore is incredibly explosive and powerful. A 4.79 40 at around 300 pounds showed how quickly he can move, putting him in range of past and present NFL stars Jared Allen and Robert Quinn, and he was violent in the bag drills, blasting them with his hands during clubs and rips before attacking the final bag. Effort with Gallimore was evident in his workout, and he could become a problem-causer with improvement and development at the next level.

Comment

• lvbronx
                  Old School
                  • Jul 2005

I think Jordan Love is rising and Justin Herbert is falling. Herbert will still go high but there was talk of top 5 and it doesn't seem that's accurate now. I think they'll both be drafted in the Top 14.

Comment

• CanDB
                    Football Immortal
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                    I think Jordan Love is rising and Justin Herbert is falling. Herbert will still go high but there was talk of top 5 and it doesn't seem that's accurate now. I think they'll both be drafted in the Top 14.
                    I think you have a good case re: Love, but Herbert had a really good combine....which if anything, gets him back into the picture. But whose to say....til draft day.

Comment

• broncos SB2010
                      All-Time Great
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      I did not watch the entire Combine, but here's who rose or slid some, based on what I saw/read:

Rising

- Simmons did not have to rise much, but his athleticism will pretty much guarantee an even higher draft spot

- Wirfs was the guy I will remember most in the Oline drills. Fast, strong, powerful legs! He may end up top 10 as a result.

- Herbert had a good combine, and will keep in in the early mix of QBs.

- I don't think CeeDee Lamb needs any help, but I believe he leaves this week as the #1 overall WR pick. Having said that, The WRs were as advertised, a talented/deep group!

- And I can not let this go without mentioning a fellow canuck, Chase Claypool, who had a fabulous Combine! He's a big WR, at 6'4" / 238 lbs and ran a 4.42 and had a vertical of 40+. These stats make him comparable to Calvin Johnson, given size and results. His stock will rise.

Sliding

I do not have much to offer on this side, at this point. Clearly anyone who had a slower 40 for example, needs to reassure everyone that they are who they saw on tape. And some players who did not participate might wish they had, though it's hard to tell at this time.

One player who may slide a bit, no fault of his own, is Shenault, given he needs core muscle surgery, and therefore will be recovering from surgery to The Draft. But he will probably end up a 2nd rounder, given how many good WRs there are....not so much because he ran a less than impressive 40 (though obviously hampered). BUT if he falls, I'd love for us to wait it out, and select him. And for his sake, I hope the slide (if any) is minimal. He'll be healthy in a couple of months.
                      Herbert very well might go #1 overall
                      sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
                        Football Immortal
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                        Herbert very well might go #1 overall
                        If we went back a half year or so, Herbert and Tua were the guys. Then Burrow surpassed both of them. But lately, even though Burrow is still consensus #1, both Tua and Herbert are getting a lot of attention again, and both will likely be top 10 pics, and at least one should be top 5.

Comment

• broncos SB2010
                          All-Time Great
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          If we went back a half year or so, Herbert and Tua were the guys. Then Burrow surpassed both of them. But lately, even though Burrow is still consensus #1, both Tua and Herbert are getting a lot of attention again, and both will likely be top 10 pics, and at least one should be top 5.
                          Washington is probably licking their lips thinking about how much they can get for the #2 spot. I bet Miami and Chargers are both going to try and trade up for whichever QB Cincy doesn't pick.

Just looked at the draft order...Miami has 5, 18, and 26. That's a lot of ammo to move up with.
                          Last edited by broncos SB2010; 03-02-2020, 07:07 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
                            Football Immortal
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                            Washington is probably licking their lips thinking about how much they can get for the #2 spot. I bet Miami and Chargers are both going to try and trade up for whichever QB Cincy doesn't pick.

Just looked at the draft order...Miami has 5, 18, and 26. That's a lot of ammo to move up with.
                            This is the beauty of the offseason! Player stock rise (and decline). Teams sometimes fall in love with a position or a player, and next thing you know, there's a domino effect. Deals will be made. And very shortly, Free Agency will change rosters of a number of teams...which of course, sets up for even more draft dynamics.

I love the offseason!

Comment

• MHSalute
                              Ring of Famer
                              • Feb 2011

I have:

4 QB
                              2 WR
                              3 OT
                              1 DL
                              1 CB
                              1 LB

Before our pick. That will leave one of Kinlaw, Thomas, or Lamb (my guess on last WR and OT) to fall to #15. I did not see anyone raise their stock enough to displace my 12.

If Love is still on the board at 15, we should deal the pick if we can, but I don't see that happening.
                              Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Working...
                              X