• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • listopencil
    Revenant
    • Aug 2003

Fangio: Hogan Starts, Rypien Plays Vs Rams

Fangio says that most of the starters will not play against the Rams. He has also says that Hogan will be QB1 and Rypien will be QB2. He's looking at it as our stereotypical 4th preseason game, rather than our 3rd which is what our opponents will most likely be doing. Typically teams treat the 3rd game as a dress rehearsal for the season. Here's an article with more detail: https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/k...-most-starters
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick
  • DenverBlood
    Football Immortal
    • Nov 2005

Well after losing one QB to potentially IR there is really no reason to risk losing Flacco in a preseason game anymore. So it makes sense.
    sigpic

Comment

• False Start
      Playmaker
      • Mar 2009

What else is he to do?

After Joe, there is a lot of no.

Comment

• EddieMac
        Canuck Mod, eh!
        • Feb 2004

It’s not like the rams have used starters all pre season..

This might go down as a no-watch affair
        sigpic

Comment

• DenverBlood
          Football Immortal
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post

Also known as preseason football.
          sigpic

Comment

• rst08tierney
            VISIONS OF CONFETTI
            • Nov 2006

IMO lets keep Flacco out from here. Hes a vet. No need to roll the dice. We need him for all 16 REGULAR season games.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
              Super Moderator
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
              Fangio says that most of the starters will not play against the Rams. He has also says that Hogan will be QB1 and Rypien will be QB2. He's looking at it as our stereotypical 4th preseason game, rather than our 3rd which is what our opponents will most likely be doing. Typically teams treat the 3rd game as a dress rehearsal for the season. Here's an article with more detail: https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/k...-most-starters
              The Rams have said they won't play starters in the preseason. So if they're not treating it like a typical 3rd game, no reason for Denver too either. Let the starting 22 start to focus on Oakland, the people battling for spots can focus on trying to earn them. Seems like a win-win.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                Super Moderator
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post

Luckily TSN is showing the Miami-Florida game on Saturday, so I'll be watching that. 3 preseason games was enough for me. Can't wait until the 9th!

Comment

• listopencil
                  Revenant
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  The Rams have said they won't play starters in the preseason. So if they're not treating it like a typical 3rd game, no reason for Denver too either. Let the starting 22 start to focus on Oakland, the people battling for spots can focus on trying to earn them. Seems like a win-win.
                  Cool. I had read an article days ago hinting that our opponents may be playing backups the rest of the way but never heard any confirmation of it. I'd like to see Hogan do something and I'd like to get a better feel for Rypien anyway, so I'll try to watch. I don't know how much of our horrible O-line depth I can stomach though.

Comment

• listopencil
                    Revenant
                    • Aug 2003

BTW, I think Hogan really dodged a bullet here with Lock's injury. I tend to lean towards wanting experience at the QB position but I was just about to the point of being OK with dumping Hogan. I know that he's not going to look as good playing behind a week backup O-line but he looks like he's going backwards. Now I would not be surprised to see him active week one of the regular season with Lock's injury.

Comment

• johnlimburg
                      Ring of Famer
                      • Sep 2009

I don't remember the pre-season ever being this boring ? Teams obviously are moving away from playing starters, but the depth of teams, especially ours, it seems to be an all-time low. I don't see much to be excited about on the back end of this roster, and there isn't many position battles I'm even remotely intrigued by this year.

Comment

• Rixter757
                        Bench Warmer
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                        I don't remember the pre-season ever being this boring ? Teams obviously are moving away from playing starters, but the depth of teams, especially ours, it seems to be an all-time low. I don't see much to be excited about on the back end of this roster, and there isn't many position battles I'm even remotely intrigued by this year.
                        Agreed. I was looking forward to pre-season week 3, you know where previous years sees the starters get a game. Obviously not happening this year, but why the change?

Don't know if it's league wide, but read the Rams have said similar.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                          Banned User
                          • Dec 2015

It makes sense to keep most of the starters out of the game. I guess the starting offense will figure out how to score a touchdown in the opener.
                          Last edited by Fantaztic7; 08-23-2019, 05:17 AM.

Comment

• DenverBlood
                            Football Immortal
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Rixter757 View Post
                            Agreed. I was looking forward to pre-season week 3, you know where previous years sees the starters get a game. Obviously not happening this year, but why the change?

Don't know if it's league wide, but read the Rams have said similar.
                            To avoid unnecessary injuries. The league has discussed decreasing preseason for years but only if they get 18 regular season games. Which the players don’t want. So in the meantime the league just keeps scheduling full preseason.

I feel like this is the coaches and players saying enough no more stupid injuries so we just won’t play starters much or at all.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                              Captain
                              • Aug 2008

Yeesh. This offense should be getting extra field time, not less.

Comment

Working...
                              X