• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lvbronx
    Old School
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Number one, ...players have an opt out option. If they feel playing is a "risk" to their lives they don't have to play.

And two,... I am so sick and tired of the asymptomatic argument. I keep getting told "I could be spreading it without knowing it"...yeah? Then how come NOBODY around me is getting sick?? Maybe everyone around me are asymptomatic too?? Maybe everyone around them are asymptomatic??

Look, I know there is a virus attacking us but it is NOT a death sentence!! If you are obese, a smoker, born without immunities.. whatever it may be, there are dangers around every corner for you. Over 90% of hospitalized covid patients are people who had/have pre existing conditions.https://people-com.cdn.ampproject.or...-conditions%2F ...

Life can go on with this fight (with or without a vaccine) and MOST people will be just fine. There are unknowns as far as long term affects but the fact is this isn't going away. It is widely speculated this is going to be an annual event like the flu so just move along and deal with it. Quit acting like it's the plague because it's not
    What percentage of OL and DL do you think are considered medically obese?

Comment

• JvDub95
      Football Immortal
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
      What percentage of OL and DL do you think are considered medically obese?
      Very small imo, their muscle mass is what makes them as large as they are not their body fat %. I remember reading once that you need to have 30 or 35% percent body fat to be considered obese. Are lineman in that range? I honestly don't know the answer to that

​​​​

Comment

• JvDub95
        Football Immortal
        • Jan 2005

I found a little info on player obesity.....

"players' union. About two-thirds of those players — not just linemen — had a body mass index above 30, which is considered moderately obese. ... Another study showed that the average weight of offensive linemen ballooned 27 percent, from 249 pounds in the 1970s to 315 pounds in the 2000s, as the passing game evolved."

Moderately obese?? How many of Americans in general can fall into that category?? Imo, you can hold onto 20-30% body fat and still be able to go out and jog or handle some cardiovascular activity. As long as you can exercise your lungs being overweight a little isn't that big of a deal

​​​​

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
          MLB played 9 of 10 games yesterday. One was postponed.

There are learning curves but essentially the pro sports are starting to give us a window into what moving forward looks like. Soccer got to the knock out round. NBA played 2 games yesterday and 6 are scheduled today. NHL has 5 games tomorrow.

Considering what we see on the news every day I get all the people wondering how will it happen....I do not think people are giving enough credit to those who want to keep life moving forward though. Some people do not want to wait at home until some "heroic action" saves the day that may never come or may not work if one is delivered.
          Well some people have been going to work. They do not have to wait for the "sound judgment and wise behavior" because they were told in March if they want to be able to pay bills they need to show up to work.

Some people are lucky enough to be able to choose to stay at home and wait for "sound judgment and wise behavior". Managing risks is not something new to the world in 2020...we been doing it since the dawn on man.

If people want to stay home and wait for "sound judgment and wise behavior" they should be allowed to.

If people want to push on and manage risks while life is lived...allow them to do so.

It has been almost 5 months at a certain point people should be able to make the choice.
          Just to rehash....you said we do not give enough credit to those who want to keep life moving ahead, and then you say people were told to get back to work. That seems like opposing ends of a scale. Yes I think it good that we try to move forward, but no, I do not think people should push ahead too fast, or in the case you mention, are pushed back to work in situations that are not as safe as they should be. That's what I read from your comments. Lets push ahead, but some of us have been pushed ahead....and in less than safe environments.

I have 2 kids. One was lucky to work from home from the onset of the pandemic. Still does. The other is a medical professional, and did what was possible to be safe, though having to ride the subways, and be in a less safe environment - the hospital. Had to work. BUT, both of them are practicing sound judgement and wise behaviour in their every day lives. One had more risks to contend with, but did everything that was prescribed. The other was safer at home, but is very, very cautious in their normal way of life, and avoids unnecessary risk. So in their own way, they have done the right things to keep themselves healthy. One had no choice, but wears masks regularly, and does all the social distancing, hand cleansing, etc. And I trust her workplace is doing its best to lessen the odds of being infected.

So we, and our workplaces, have to use good judgement, and behave accordingly. What I got from you is that moving ahead should be given kudos, but moving ahead in workplaces that are not safe is not wise at all. That many are forced to work, even in less than ideal conditions. Somewhere in all of that I read that someone/some business, is not doing the right thing. And I do not give credit to either.

Again, moving forward for the sake of it, is not the best way to go...unless it is supported by a good, safe plan,

Now, if you are saying we should give credit to those who had no choice but to return to work, to pay their bills, and to do what they can to be safe....I agree. I just don't support those who say we have to move ahead, when we are clearly not ready to move ahead as quickly as they think we can. The ones that think the economy is much more important than the health and well being of people.
          Last edited by CanDB; 08-01-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Hadez
            Football Immortal
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            Just to rehash....you said we do not give enough credit to those who want to keep life moving ahead, and then you say people were told to get back to work. That seems like opposing ends of a scale.

My take is we have learned something through all this. Some people did not have a choice. They either went to work or their family struggled to eat. Some people had a choice and went to work.
            I know a posted a lot and it was easy to see only some things so I made it easy for you. When I make an effort to paint a picture that includes both sides of the coin please represent that correct and do not just pick the side that fits your opinion.
            What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
            effort x talent = skill
            effort x skill = achievement
            How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• Hadez
              Football Immortal
              • Nov 2004

Now, if you are saying we should give credit to those who had no choice but to return to work, to pay their bills, and to do what they can to be safe....I agree. I just don't support those who say we have to move ahead, when we are clearly not ready to move ahead as quickly as they think we can. The ones that think the economy is much more important than the health and well being of people.
              There has been nothing quick about this in the USA. This shutdown / partial shutdown is nearing 5 months and the ONLY thing our leaders have given us is weak a mask and social distance while we shut down the economy.

As people who have lost their business the last 5 months about "move ahead as quickly as they think we can"

If someone wants to stay home fine...if someone wants to move forward they should be allowed to . There are a lot of people who have spent tens of thousands of dollars in their business to make it safe with various forms of shields and social distancing who are not being allowed to.

What is this plan you talk about? It is tangible or some fairy tale?
              Last edited by Hadez; 08-01-2020, 11:42 AM.
              What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
              effort x talent = skill
              effort x skill = achievement
              How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• bronx_2003
                Banned User
                • Oct 2003

There has been nothing quick about this in the USA. This shutdown / partial shutdown is nearing 5 months and the ONLY thing our leaders have given us is weak a mask and social distance while we shut down the economy.

As people who have lost their business the last 5 months about "move ahead as quickly as they think we can"

If someone wants to stay home fine...if someone wants to move forward they should be allowed to . There are a lot of people who have spent tens of thousands of dollars in their business to make it safe with various forms of shields and social distancing who are not being allowed to.

The big problem you will get is there will be 2 groups of people that make up a minority but will scream their heads off.

1 - The group who will not leave their house until life holds zero risk, they have already written off doing anything in 2020 and are too scared to move their life forward. These are the fragile types who generally need their hand held through life.

2 - A small group of people who live for drama and enjoy the big news and drama of Covid, they will be glued to the TV every day and shouting at every little development, happily swallowing every little detail and regurgitating it as gospel.

People like this will always frustrate people like us who just want to get on with life, need to work to pay the bills, and have some common sense of taking sensible measures without taking it to a stupid level of not wanting any part of life to move forward.

Comment

• bronx_2003
                  Banned User
                  • Oct 2003

Just to rehash....you said we do not give enough credit to those who want to keep life moving ahead, and then you say people were told to get back to work. That seems like opposing ends of a scale. Yes I think it good that we try to move forward, but no, I do not think people should push ahead too fast, or in the case you mention, are pushed back to work in situations that are not as safe as they should be. That's what I read from your comments. Lets push ahead, but some of us have been pushed ahead....and in less than safe environments.

I have 2 kids. One was lucky to work from home from the onset of the pandemic. Still does. The other is a medical professional, and did what was possible to be safe, though having to ride the subways, and be in a less safe environment - the hospital. Had to work. BUT, both of them are practicing sound judgement and wise behaviour in their every day lives. One had more risks to contend with, but did everything that was prescribed. The other was safer at home, but is very, very cautious in their normal way of life, and avoids unnecessary risk. So in their own way, they have done the right things to keep themselves healthy. One had no choice, but wears masks regularly, and does all the social distancing, hand cleansing, etc. And I trust her workplace is doing its best to lessen the odds of being infected.

So we, and our workplaces, have to use good judgement, and behave accordingly. What I got from you is that moving ahead should be given kudos, but moving ahead in workplaces that are not safe is not wise at all. That many are forced to work, even in less than ideal conditions. Somewhere in all of that I read that someone/some business, is not doing the right thing. And I do not give credit to either.

Again, moving forward for the sake of it, is not the best way to go...unless it is supported by a good, safe plan,

You are a good person with good intentions but I often think you are a dreamer who is very naive to the impact such reluctance to move forward with life has on so many millions of people with jobs, businesses, and a need to interact and have a life for their mental state. The virus has an extremely low positive test to hospital ratio and the approach of 'baby steps' is seen as an over-reaction and needlessly destroying so many lives by many people.

Comment

• CanDB
                    Football Immortal
                    • Mar 2008

I think you can do better than this.

It's a plan that is being endorsed by some countries, and a number of subsets of those countries, though I can not get credit for their leadership, commitment to a well thought out plan, consistency of message, financial and medical support, monitoring and management of their findings, initiative, health awareness, and appreciation for blending safety and economy as best they could.

Fairy tale?? Thought we were above that.
                    Last edited by CanDB; 08-01-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• CanDB
                      Football Immortal
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                      You are a good person with good intentions but I often think you are a dreamer who is very naive to the impact such reluctance to move forward with life has on so many millions of people with jobs, businesses, and a need to interact and have a life for their mental state. The virus has an extremely low positive test to hospital ratio and the approach of 'baby steps' is seen as an over-reaction and needlessly destroying so many lives by many people.
                      Dreamer and very naive. Thanks Bronx. By describing me this way, does that make you feel more correct?

FTR....I see what is working and where, and I see what does not appear to be working and where. That may not be perfect, but it is based on as much fact as I can garner. And though some may challenge my province for being low density and not really international, I really like how we are handling this situation....and I see us recovering very nicely.
                      Last edited by CanDB; 08-01-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• bronx_2003
                        Banned User
                        • Oct 2003

Dreamer and very naive. Thanks Bronx. By describing me this way, does that make you feel more correct?
                        I'm just saying that some people, and you have done it in this thread, throw out the idea that taking a baby step approach going forward and halting life for any minor spike has no consequences. Its almost like some people are saying 'well we might as well take an extremely slow approach for the rest of the year just in case, and if we need to cancel anything at any time then why not' without realising that it comes with major repercussions and devastating impacts for millions of people.

If you believe that taking a baby step approach for as long as you think s neccessary is the right way forward then thats your opinion and your entitled to it, but doing it this way comes with consequences. Governing bodies can only halt life for an incredibly good reason and not just on a whim because of a tiny spike in a couple of places.

Comment

• Peanut
                          ModNut
                          • Jan 2007

Getting a little personal.

This is not the first warning.

Let's see if we can get the other thread closed, too.
                          Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Bronco51
                            Football Immortal
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                            And more Cardinals players tested positive today. So, their season is on hold for longer.
                            They went from 4 to 13 over the weekend. How is the NFL going to keep this from happening? I haven't seen how they're trying to keep players under lock and key.

Comment

• jazzbodog
                              Football Immortal
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                              They went from 4 to 13 over the weekend. How is the NFL going to keep this from happening? I haven't seen how they're trying to keep players under lock and key.
                              When are people going to realize / understand that this nasty virus CAN / WILL / DOES effect people in unpredictable and different ways?

A 102 year old woman gets the virus and survives no problem. A 40 year old person with mild or no pre-existing issues gets it but recovers at home or in a hospital. A healthy 19 year old gets it and dies 5 days later. NOBODY KNOWS HOW IT WILL EFFECT ANY GIVEN PERSON!!!!

Young, old, sick, whatever. It's a total gamble to put yourself in harms way and believe it will pan out in a positive way because you believe you're 10 feet tall and bullet proof. Unbelievably naive and ignorant, IMO.
                              Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• orange crush75
                                Captain
                                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
                                When are people going to realize / understand that this nasty virus CAN / WILL / DOES effect people in unpredictable and different ways?

A 102 year old woman gets the virus and survives no problem. A 40 year old person with mild or no pre-existing issues gets it but recovers at home or in a hospital. A healthy 19 year old gets it and dies 5 days later. NOBODY KNOWS HOW IT WILL EFFECT ANY GIVEN PERSON!!!!

Young, old, sick, whatever. It's a total gamble to put yourself in harms way and believe it will pan out in a positive way because you believe you're 10 feet tall and bullet proof. Unbelievably naive and ignorant, IMO.
                                We gamble every day . The regular flu is more dangerous to kids then covid . Looking at stats if your under 65 your chances of surviving are good . The avg death age of covid is older then avg death age from what I understand. Yes this is killing people but look how many have become infected and survived.

Comment

Working...
                                X