• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neutessa
    Special Teams
    • Oct 2007

Ellis/Trust Issues

A number of interesting tidbits here: https://www.westword.com/news/denver...ssues-11578063

1) Ellis has effectively been running the Broncos, including firing Bowlen's own allies, for nearly the last 15 years

2) Directly from the article: "Reading between the legal lines, there's a significant chance that the trustees will not emerge from the court proceedings as operators of the Denver Broncos, and it's even less likely that Brittany Bowlen will ever become the franchise's operating owner."

3) Bowlen wasn't present when Shanahan was informed of being fired (nor present for other execs firings), which was not typical of Bowlen's style.

4) If Beth Bowlen-Wallace were to become controlling owner the front office would undergo a major "housecleaning". (Obviously Ellis would be out but who else? The Football side as well?)

5) Bowlen re-entered the picture to hire Elway upon the advice of family members. Ellis was not involved and had "worked for years to keep number seven out of the building."

Overall some interesting information. I have believed that much of the Broncos' current state can be traced back to Ellis. Sure, the football side (Elway) has had its own problems but I tend believe it has been handcuffed to a degree by Ellis.
  • BroncosDivision
    #27 | HOF | CLASS OF 2020
    • Sep 2009

Pretty much.

If I had a vote in this mess, I'd go with Beth Bowlen-Wallace as she looks tough as nails and thus, not someone who's likely to be manipulated. Brittany Bowlen looks sweet and caring, but does she have what it takes to run a 3 billion dollar company without getting played like a fiddle?
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Comment

• Hadez
      Football Immortal
      • Nov 2004

Several sources have labeled Brittany “a puppet” of the trustees, who would like to continue in their current ownership/executive roles for the foreseeable future. According to one of the terms set forth by the 2009 trust, Brittany would not be eligible to take control of the franchise for a minimum of five more years as she works to fulfill the trust criteria of “five years of senior management experience.” She currently has one month of requisite time.
      The fact that there is a "trust criteria" of 5 years that has only been worked on for 1 month tells me that this needs to be looked into. Details need to be brought to the surface about the true intent and plan of the trust.

It is really sad because it seems that Pat reached out for help knowing this was coming back in the 2000s and over ten years later Ellis and the trust possibly have been dragging their feet in some form of power struggle. If there is anything going on other then an honest 100% effort to get control of the team into the hands of the Bowlen family than imo the NFL needs to remove the trust members asap and ban them from the NFL.

Pat's family deserves to be treated with respect and integrity.
      What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
      effort x talent = skill
      effort x skill = achievement
      How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• Butler By'Note
        Super Moderator
        • Dec 2008

Beth Bowlen will never own the Broncos. If she were successful in court (a big if since the NFL charter says that they have full authority over ownership legal issues) the NFL will force the team to go up for sale.

Here's the link to the NFL constitution and by-laws, the NFL is a private club, and the 32 rich people retain full ability to decide who owns one of their franchises. The lawsuit was already thrown out when it was brought by Bill Bowlen, I expect the new one meet the same fate sooner rather than later, especially once the NFL takes to court to argue to the judge that they alone control ownership of their 32 franchises.

After the first lawsuit was thrown out, but before the second lawsuit, the NFL already had started to send the process to arbitration, the reason Beth Bowlen and the other daughter filed the lawsuit is because they know they have no real chance if they can't get the courts to actually agree with them.

Comment

• Sam_Z
          Banned User
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          Beth Bowlen will never own the Broncos. If she were successful in court (a big if since the NFL charter says that they have full authority over ownership legal issues) the NFL will force the team to go up for sale.

Here's the link to the NFL constitution and by-laws, the NFL is a private club, and the 32 rich people retain full ability to decide who owns one of their franchises. The lawsuit was already thrown out when it was brought by Bill Bowlen, I expect the new one meet the same fate sooner rather than later, especially once the NFL takes to court to argue to the judge that they alone control ownership of their 32 franchises.

After the first lawsuit was thrown out, but before the second lawsuit, the NFL already had started to send the process to arbitration, the reason Beth Bowlen and the other daughter filed the lawsuit is because they know they have no real chance if they can't get the courts to actually agree with them.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oward-failure/
          I agree with you on Beth Bowlen Wallace. I don’t think she ever gains control of the team and I almost want to believe that she has set out to get the team away from Joe.

Why would she do this if it means her sister never eventually becomes controlling owner? Because I don’t think any of them believe that Joe Ellis has any intentions of turning the team over to Britney anytime soon. They believe that Britney is already being played for a fool and Joe is using her to collect a paycheck for as long as he possibly can. That is why Beth is so adamantly working to get the team away from him.

He has basically already threatened to sell the team at his end of the season presser, he basically said “if you guys get involved also this thing”. Well I think that is what Beth Bowlen Wallace wants. She takes real issue with Joe Ellis using her father’s name and his team to make money as would anyone.

As far as the NFL offices go, I don’t think Roger Goodell wants to get into the middle of this mess. It seems as if he is allowing the Arapahoe county courts to handle the matter and when they rule, he will then step in and force the sale of the team. It almost seems as if he’s sitting behind the scenes waiting for a ruling.

If this happens, I strongly believe that Robert Frederick Smith could be the next owner of the Denver Broncos. If Robert Frederick Smith were to somehow miraculously become the owner of the Denver Broncos I wouldn’t expect John Elway to go anywhere either. I do believe that John has had his struggles working with Joe Ellis as somebody above already mentioned and it is because Joe Eliss has John and the team hand cuffed to an extent.
          Last edited by Sam_Z; 01-12-2020, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• mojo0730
            Football Immortal
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by neutessa View Post
            A number of interesting tidbits here: https://www.westword.com/news/denver...ssues-11578063

1) Ellis has effectively been running the Broncos, including firing Bowlen's own allies, for nearly the last 15 years

2) Directly from the article: "Reading between the legal lines, there's a significant chance that the trustees will not emerge from the court proceedings as operators of the Denver Broncos, and it's even less likely that Brittany Bowlen will ever become the franchise's operating owner."

3) Bowlen wasn't present when Shanahan was informed of being fired (nor present for other execs firings), which was not typical of Bowlen's style.

4) If Beth Bowlen-Wallace were to become controlling owner the front office would undergo a major "housecleaning". (Obviously Ellis would be out but who else? The Football side as well?)

5) Bowlen re-entered the picture to hire Elway upon the advice of family members. Ellis was not involved and had "worked for years to keep number seven out of the building."

Overall some interesting information. I have believed that much of the Broncos' current state can be traced back to Ellis. Sure, the football side (Elway) has had its own problems but I tend believe it has been handcuffed to a degree by Ellis.
            To be fair, some of this clearly isn't true because Mike Shanahan himself said in his exit presser that he was called in by Pat Bowlen and told he was being let go. While I have no doubt Ellis was the primary catalyst in Shanahan being fired, from Shanahan's own mouth it was Bowlen who told him.
            sigpic

Comment

• Sam_Z
              Banned User
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
              To be fair, some of this clearly isn't true because Mike Shanahan himself said in his exit presser that he was called in by Pat Bowlen and told he was being let go. While I have no doubt Ellis was the primary catalyst in Shanahan being fired, from Shanahan's own mouth it was Bowlen who told him.
              This all reminds me of the movie (Eye witness to the mob) Sammy the bull gravano testifing against John Gotti and the Gambino crime family.

Will Mike have to enter a witness protection program in the near future! Lol BUT THE LOVE OF GAWD will somebody get Joe Ellis out the damn building already!!!
              Last edited by Sam_Z; 03-02-2020, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Sam_Z
                Banned User
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
                Pretty much.

If I had a vote in this mess, I'd go with Beth Bowlen-Wallace as she looks tough as nails and thus, not someone who's likely to be manipulated. Brittany Bowlen looks sweet and caring, but does she have what it takes to run a 3 billion dollar company without getting played like a fiddle?
                Britney is far too easily controlled by Joe right now... Beth? No chance in hell of that.

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                  Football Immortal
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                  Britney is far too easily controlled by Joe right now... Beth? No chance in hell of that.
                  She may be a puppet for the trust as of now but what other choice does she really have? If she goes against them to try and take control sooner she risks getting cut out and the team going up for sale. I’m sure she probably would still be somewhat of a puppet in her early years but eventually I think Ellis would get cut out. Plus I like the novelty of an owner younger than some players, more relatable to players (possibly) and more energy to put into the team. I think it would help in terms of FA for sure. And new blood in the ownership circle could really help improve the NFL overall.

I think either would be a good owner ultimately though. There’s pros to both, Beth gets Joe ousted almost immediately which would be great as well.

Comment

• broncolee
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jan 2007

I think the NFL would have already stepped in if they were going deny Beth Bowlen ownership.

It would essentially violate the purpose of the trust if they were to deny Beth Bowlen ownership.

Why wouldn’t they have taken action against the trust when it was established?
                    Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• Sam_Z
                      Banned User
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                      I think the NFL would have already stepped in if they were going deny Beth Bowlen ownership.

It would essentially violate the purpose of the trust if they were to deny Beth Bowlen ownership.

Roger Goodell is friends with both Beth and Joe. He doesn’t want to force a sale. He really doesn’t care if the Broncos win or lose just as long as the ticket sales and merchandise are up. If that ever changes, then his hand may be forced.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                        Super Moderator
                        • Dec 2008

At the end of the day 31 other rich people get to choose who owns a franchise. The NFL bylaws state that the NFL gets to choose it's owners, and can remove ownership and sell the franchise at any time.

But in relation to the Trust, it actually violated NFL bylaws. The NFL owners voted to change their own rules to allow Trusts because of this. So it's likely they'll let it play out, and hope ownership is decided on it's own, but I doubt they'll let things end up with a lot of courtroom drama, if it continues.

Comment

• broncolee
                          Football Immortal
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                          At the end of the day 31 other rich people get to choose who owns a franchise. The NFL bylaws state that the NFL gets to choose it's owners, and can remove ownership and sell the franchise at any time.

But in relation to the Trust, it actually violated NFL bylaws. The NFL owners voted to change their own rules to allow Trusts because of this. So it's likely they'll let it play out, and hope ownership is decided on it's own, but I doubt they'll let things end up with a lot of courtroom drama, if it continues.
                          If they changed the rules to allow the trust, they can’t just decide that the trust is invalid because they don’t like which child gained ownership.

They are required to abide the rules they’ve established. The NFL would open itself up to litigation if they don’t abide by their own rules.
                          Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                            Super Moderator
                            • Dec 2008

If they changed the rules to allow the trust, they can’t just decide that the trust is invalid because they don’t like which child gained ownership.

They are required to abide the rules they’ve established. The NFL would open itself up to litigation if they don’t abide by their own rules.
                            Actually they can. Because although they changed things to allow trusts, they still have the right to decide who owns their franchises. And much like the NBA stepped in and took control of the Clippers away from Donald Sterling, and then sold it to an owner of their choosing, the NFL can step in at any time and force a sale of a franchise.

And this whole ownership disagreement isn't really about ownership of the team (each of his children, except for the one daughter who's not on the books with either of his wives) will own the exact same amount of the team, the fight right now is for the title of Controlling Owner.

Comment

Working...
                            X