How do you feel about Flacco's Comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DenverBlood
    Football Immortal
    • Nov 2005

I’ll go ahead and be devils advocate and be the first to say I was annoyed by Flacco’s comments. And i read the whole thing.

I’ll go ahead and post Kurt Warner’s comment below. That our very own Chris Harris liked on twitter.

“I don’t understand all the QBs saying their job isn’t to be a mentor to young QBs coming into org... in what part of life (family, business, sports, etc...) do u enter where u say Im not here to do everything I am capable of to make us better, including helping next generation!?”

There’s always so much admiration and talk of guys like Von Miller taking guys under their wing and mentoring them to be the best they can and embracing them rather than being scared to lose their job.

But the QBs get defended for being the only ones with egos too large to help. Let’s get real people. Mentoring the rookie is not a full time job. And I do agree it’s on Lock to absorb everything he can from Flacco rather than Flacco taking time out to explain in detail everything he does. But Flacco shouldn’t be above giving tips to Lock when he’s taking a breather and sees Lock make a bad read or a bad audible in practice.

Instead of looking at it as I don’t have time to train this kid to replace me he should be saying it’s in my teams best interest to have this kid be a good enough backup in the event i get injured. Which for Flacco is a high probability.

And for those saying we don’t train our replacements in our day jobs sure you do. Every manager I’ve ever had wants desktop procedures and cross training of employees. Not because they’re going to replace me. But because when I go on vacation or get the flu the show must go on at work. My job can’t halt every time I’m not in the office.
    sigpic

Comment

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
      Football Immortal
      • Mar 2017

LoL it must of been a slow news day ! This is Not even News worthy ! The writer should be called out for Fake News !

Comment

• Sam_Z
        Banned User
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
        Flacco is also a marginal player and should have been having to look over his shoulder the last 3 years, the Ravens just took their time replacing him.
        He’s had a different offensive coordinator every year since he’s won the super bowl. I understand if someone is underperforming but It’s a bit unfair to have such little faith in the guy right now.

In Denver he’ll have all the weapons a QB needs to succeed, so if he can stay healthy, lets see what he can do.

He’s what we have and we have no choice!

Comment

• ArchAngel
          Special Teams
          • Jun 2007

I remember Craig Morton was asked by Red Miller to help Matt Robinson when he was brought in to replace Morton. Morton replied that it wasn't his job. In fact, Morton predicted Robinson wouldn't finish the season as the starting QB. Robinson was benched after game four or five I recall.

Comment

• -Rod-
            #TeamBroncos
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
            As a fan of my team, this kind of makes me angry. He seems to be like's hes completely insulted that we drafted an heir apparent. I think his attitude is garbage based upon these comments.
            Then you must also think that Vic Fangio and Peyton Manning have a garbage attitude. Fangio said the exact same thing as Flacco when it comes to Lock's development and Manning never got out of his way to mentor Brock Osweiler or any other young QB on the roster.

sigpic

Comment

• gerontion
              Playmaker
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
              I’ll go ahead and be devils advocate and be the first to say I was annoyed by Flacco’s comments. And i read the whole thing.

I’ll go ahead and post Kurt Warner’s comment below. That our very own Chris Harris liked on twitter.

“I don’t understand all the QBs saying their job isn’t to be a mentor to young QBs coming into org... in what part of life (family, business, sports, etc...) do u enter where u say Im not here to do everything I am capable of to make us better, including helping next generation!?”

There’s always so much admiration and talk of guys like Von Miller taking guys under their wing and mentoring them to be the best they can and embracing them rather than being scared to lose their job.

But the QBs get defended for being the only ones with egos too large to help. Let’s get real people. Mentoring the rookie is not a full time job. And I do agree it’s on Lock to absorb everything he can from Flacco rather than Flacco taking time out to explain in detail everything he does. But Flacco shouldn’t be above giving tips to Lock when he’s taking a breather and sees Lock make a bad read or a bad audible in practice.

Instead of looking at it as I don’t have time to train this kid to replace me he should be saying it’s in my teams best interest to have this kid be a good enough backup in the event i get injured. Which for Flacco is a high probability.

And for those saying we don’t train our replacements in our day jobs sure you do. Every manager I’ve ever had wants desktop procedures and cross training of employees. Not because they’re going to replace me. But because when I go on vacation or get the flu the show must go on at work. My job can’t halt every time I’m not in the office.
              Von Miller has never had a direct challenger to his job. But, he probably will in a few years when Chubb gets a huge extension and Denver drafts a young pass rusher.

Comment

• Dan Dan
                Practice Squad
                • Nov 2010

I agree with what Joe Flacco said, new team new scheme his plate is flowing over.

Comment

• gtown53
                  All-Pro
                  • Apr 2008

Frankly, I can't believe some of the Posts I've read here. You know, besides the "Trolls" that I see, over and over, concerning Flacco. There certainly are a lot of "fans" who are now highly invested in seeing Joe Flacco fail.

If people want to comment, and Post your hate for Joe Flacco, at least have the intellectual honesty to watch the whole media conference, first.

Quarterback Joe Flacco talks about the start of OTAs and what his role is like inside the QB room following the addition of two rookies.Subscribe to Broncos ...

Comment

• Gsam
                    Playmaker
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by RobertR View Post
                    Lock has yet to have an NFL training camp or take a single snap in a game, yet it's assumed he'll be anointed a first year starter?? Where did THAT unfounded assumption come from??
                    That whole comment was from rotoworld. Not mine.

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                      Football Immortal
                      • Oct 2010

It is good he wants to concentrate on winning football games, that's his job. The coaches have a job to do, and that's to coach Drew Lock.

Comment

• RobertR
                        Starter
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
                        That whole comment was from rotoworld. Not mine.
                        Ok, so it's their bad, not yours.

Comment

• wrxDenver_Loyal
                          Practice Squad
                          • Feb 2015

People should really look of how Joe flacco handled his relationship with Lamar Jackson last year. From their interactions on the sidelines to what people say their relationship was like in the locker room, It truly seems like Joe was helping Jackson succeed. It seems Joe was disappointed he wasn't the starter but he handled it like a true professional. With Lock, Joe is going to lead by example, answer questions but for the most part he will fight tooth and nail to keep his job like you would expect your leader to do. If Lock can learn there is going to be a example to learn from.
                          Go Broncos!!

Comment

• flosstein
                            Ring of Famer
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

You do know Elway said basically the exact same thing also when Reeves drafted Tommy Maddox. If you're old enough to remember that debacle, what were your feelings then? It's not Flacco's job to get Lock ready. Same as it wasn't Manning's job to mentor Brock, which he didn't btw. If Lock isn't progressing, that's on Lock and coaching.

As for "the real world". I do agree with you. But sports / entertainment is a complete 180 to "real life". Same rules don't apply, so it's never really an apples to apples comparison. But even with all the cross training, OJT, and mentoring, the person at the top is still holding something back. No one gives up everything.
                            #swapping

Comment

• DenverBlood
                              Football Immortal
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                              You do know Elway said basically the exact same thing also when Reeves drafted Tommy Maddox. If you're old enough to remember that debacle, what were your feelings then? It's not Flacco's job to get Lock ready. Same as it wasn't Manning's job to mentor Brock, which he didn't btw. If Lock isn't progressing, that's on Lock and coaching.

As for "the real world". I do agree with you. But sports / entertainment is a complete 180 to "real life". Same rules don't apply, so it's never really an apples to apples comparison. But even with all the cross training, OJT, and mentoring, the person at the top is still holding something back. No one gives up everything.
                              And my point of my post wasn’t to intend to say Flacco should spend more time trying to mentor Lock. In fact i think I said I understand he wouldn’t. I get Flacco saying if he has questions he is more than happy to answer them and help when he can. Which is really probably all you should ask for in a mentor.

I think I said yesterday I get it’s not on Flacco to stop practice and go to lock and say you see what I did right there or what I did wrong. It’s up to lock to absorb the playbook and ask questions of Flacco when something doesn’t make sense to him. I agree it’s not on Flacco to prepare lock to replace him. That’s on Rick.

I will say his tone hearing him say it doesn’t sound remotely like someone refusing to help the way it can sort of be read in text. So that part matters. Because hearing him say it sounds like he does care that Lock progresses enough to fill in should he be hurt. You can’t really deduct that tone from reading it. And that’s the same at my job. It’s not up to my lead to teach me every lean process he knows. It’s up to me to ask questions and ask for more work when I’m able to hold my head above water.

I don’t really have an issue with what Flacco said. And I agree with people who said the reporters should more be blamed for constantly asking these interrogating questions to make them sound like bad teammates. I’m just a little more worried about history repeating itself where he seemed to fold under the pressure of having Lamar waiting behind him. Though initially the challenge seemed to push him. But he wore down and eventually was injured.

As for Elway I know at the end of his career he wanted players to help him win a ring not a stud backup. I remember it well. But what i don’t remember is was he also so agitated about Kubiak being brought in to back him up? They are really good friends today and I don’t recall him being so annoyed about a semi decent backup then.
                              sigpic

Comment

• WYBRONCO
                                Football Immortal
                                • May 2016

I thought Flacco handled some loaded questions very well. He can't possibly help Lock or Rypien until he himself masters the play calling and concepts. Both of these to guys are very smart. They will be able to learn a lot by watching Flacco succeed and take note of some things he needs to do better so that they are ready to hopefully not make similar mistakes.

Peyton Manning didn't meet with his backup to have scheduled mentoring sessions. Unless coaching has specifically indicated otherwise I seriously doubt any starting QB "mentors" young Qb's. Kurt Warner was likely told to help get Eli Manning ready to be a starter in NY. I guess I just don't see that as the norm.

Comment

Working...
                                X