• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darryn16
    Captain
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Nobody said he had to win championships. Fans like me were upset because it was always 1 and done. It was embarrassing.

We were literally an NBA punchline with all of the one and dones minus the 1 western conference finals year.

Yes I understand you need an elite guy to win a championship. But plenty of teams advance past the first round without a super star. Memphis does it regularly. Why? Because they play defense. Karl's teams weren't a far cry better on defense than this years team. So any talk of him holding players responsible is bogus. We may not have been league worst but it was always near the bottom.

I can't think of another team that had 9 one and dones out of 10 years.

Now most of the time was due to not having home court. But the two times we did have home court we still lost both series in 6. Utah and Golden State.

And in both series I can't say either team had better superstars than the Nuggets. Definitely not Utah when Melo and Chauncey were here.

You might could claim Curry but the rest of the lineup was similar to the Nuggets. Those are the two series that were the final straw to me with Karl. I couldn't care less about 55 regular season wins if we can't hold home court in the playoffs. At least this years team is going to get a top 5 draft pick. Karl's teams always brought a 20 range pick with several times trading out. Yet still no playoff wins. So we were never in position to get a superstar.

I agree I don't believe Shaw is going to keep his job. But this season is what we have to suffer through to get an elite player for a championship. Or at least a playoff round win. Even with how bad this year is I don't want Karl back. And never will.
    Good post.
    I am in agreement that you need an elite guy (or two) to win a championship, however GS seems to have the recipe for success. True you could argue that Curry is an elite guy, but what about Klay Thompson or Draymond Green? These guys are playing at an elite level if not being in the elite themselves.

Comment

• the0rangecrush
      Captain
      • Apr 2009

Denver would be best set shipping players off for picks. Just stockpile picks, and call it what it is. I like Philly ' s approach taking the injured/foreign players. Thus they tank in consecutive years, and have multiple stars.
      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
      I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• MegaOrange
        Special Teams
        • Jul 2012

Nobody said he had to win championships. Fans like me were upset because it was always 1 and done. It was embarrassing.

We were literally an NBA punchline with all of the one and dones minus the 1 western conference finals year.

Yes I understand you need an elite guy to win a championship. But plenty of teams advance past the first round without a super star. Memphis does it regularly. Why? Because they play defense. Karl's teams weren't a far cry better on defense than this years team. So any talk of him holding players responsible is bogus. We may not have been league worst but it was always near the bottom.

I can't think of another team that had 9 one and dones out of 10 years.

Now most of the time was due to not having home court. But the two times we did have home court we still lost both series in 6. Utah and Golden State.

And in both series I can't say either team had better superstars than the Nuggets. Definitely not Utah when Melo and Chauncey were here.

You might could claim Curry but the rest of the lineup was similar to the Nuggets. Those are the two series that were the final straw to me with Karl. I couldn't care less about 55 regular season wins if we can't hold home court in the playoffs. At least this years team is going to get a top 5 draft pick. Karl's teams always brought a 20 range pick with several times trading out. Yet still no playoff wins. So we were never in position to get a superstar.

I agree I don't believe Shaw is going to keep his job. But this season is what we have to suffer through to get an elite player for a championship. Or at least a playoff round win. Even with how bad this year is I don't want Karl back. And never will.
        The one and done's sucked, but I liked the regular seasons. I somewhat accept that in bball top players have a far bigger impact on the game and it's rare to get one of those talents. I was somewhat complacent with a fun brand of bball and with playoff appearances. That was still a good season to me.

Can we get a superstar, maybe. Can we keep one, unlikely.

We've gone from 55 to 36 to a pace for 13 wins. That's a shocking fall and coaching is a huge part of that. You don't get 55 wins and playoffs consistently if your team isn't disciplined and held accountable.

So, who is our next coach and when?
        Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

• Bronco51
          Football Immortal
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
          Denver would be best set shipping players off for picks. Just stockpile picks, and call it what it is. I like Philly ' s approach taking the injured/foreign players. Thus they tank in consecutive years, and have multiple stars.
          My family is from Philly and they swear by the 76ers plan. They say the fans actually like it because it's no secret what they are doing. They are going from winning 32 games a year with no future to 22 games a year looking ahead to drafting/stockpiling picks to make themselves better. It won't happen immediately, but they will not be forever stuck in the 30 win mode. Or at least they don't think so. I see the Nuggets as a team that will consistently be in a 35-40 win mode for a looooooonnnnnnggggg time.

Comment

• darryn16
            Captain
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
            My family is from Philly and they swear by the 76ers plan. They say the fans actually like it because it's no secret what they are doing. They are going from winning 32 games a year with no future to 22 games a year looking ahead to drafting/stockpiling picks to make themselves better. It won't happen immediately, but they will not be forever stuck in the 30 win mode. Or at least they don't think so. I see the Nuggets as a team that will consistently be in a 35-40 win mode for a looooooonnnnnnggggg time.

Even this is being generous.

Comment

• darryn16
              Captain
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MegaOrange View Post
              The one and done's sucked, but I liked the regular seasons. I somewhat accept that in bball top players have a far bigger impact on the game and it's rare to get one of those talents. I was somewhat complacent with a fun brand of bball and with playoff appearances. That was still a good season to me.

Can we get a superstar, maybe. Can we keep one, unlikely.

We've gone from 55 to 36 to a pace for 13 wins. That's a shocking fall and coaching is a huge part of that. You don't get 55 wins and playoffs consistently if your team isn't disciplined and held accountable.

So, who is our next coach and when?

Coach K, next season. Book it!!! (sarcasm)

Comment

• DenverBlood
                Football Immortal
                • Nov 2005

I'm not defending Shaw. Who can defend a 1-6 start. Except Phil Jackson is having the same issue with the players in New York

I hear people say the players don't like Shaw. Well in Indiana the players loved him as an assistant. And they played defense and got out of the first round consistently.

Personally I think Shaw scrapped his style because it wasn't working and the disaster this year is him trying to let the Nuggets play the same style from before he got here. But it's not his style. I just think the players are stubborn and immature. We all know Phil Jackson is a phenomenal coach but he is also having trouble getting the players to buy into a philosophy that they aren't used to. No one is questioning Phil in that spot though. This is why I was disappointed that the front office didn't blow up our roster. It would suck to see the stars leave but it's necessary to implement Shaws style. I knew his style would never work with our current roster. They've never shown me any indication of willingness to play defense which is what I wanted.

I want them to blow up this roster and rebuild. Even if we suck for awhile like Philly. But I also agree that could be a problem if we are always struggling to resign the drafted stars.

But even if Shaw is not the guy I know 100% I don't want Karl back.

I don't want 55 wins and a first round exit. I want 55 wins and a least one playoff series win every now and then.

Not one advance in 10 years.
                sigpic

Comment

• HUMCALC
                  Football Immortal
                  • Jan 2011

How about this trade:

DEN gets: Hinrich, Taj, and Thibs
                  CHI gets: Faried, Afflalo, Hickson, Mozgov, and your 1st round pick?
                  "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

• DenverBlood
                    Football Immortal
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                    How about this trade:

DEN gets: Hinrich, Taj, and Thibs
                    CHI gets: Faried, Afflalo, Hickson, Mozgov, and your 1st round pick?
                    No thanks. Sounds like an extreme steal for Chicago.
                    sigpic

Comment

• HUMCALC
                      Football Immortal
                      • Jan 2011

No thanks. Sounds like an extreme steal for Chicago.
                      You'd get a top 3-5 coach, an experienced PG who can run the team, and a well-rounded PF. Plus both players are top-notch defenders, and a coach who demands it & has made it out of the first round.

What would you give for those 3?
                      "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

• MegaOrange
                        Special Teams
                        • Jul 2012

Much better game last night. It helps when you shoot lights out. What really helped was attacking the rim and at least occasionally getting the ball inside. Lawson was attacking as well. There just also seemed to be confident play. We'll see if it lasts.

Comment

• Bronco51
                          Football Immortal
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by MegaOrange View Post
                          Much better game last night. It helps when you shoot lights out. What really helped was attacking the rim and at least occasionally getting the ball inside. Lawson was attacking as well. There just also seemed to be confident play. We'll see if it lasts.
                          It lasted a day. Javale air balled a free throw.........smh. Struggled against the horrid Knicks. 28 wins people. Get ready for it.

Comment

• Atwnbroncfan
                            OrangeCrush Resurrection
                            • Aug 2006

Guys guys guys, we are improving. We finally figured out how to not suck at tanking.Now we can be in position to actually get an elite player.
                            sigpic

Comment

• MegaOrange
                              Special Teams
                              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                              It lasted a day. Javale air balled a free throw.........smh. Struggled against the horrid Knicks. 28 wins people. Get ready for it.
                              I knew this was going to go bad when we were up by ten in the first quarter. We were shooting lights out which got us addicted to three's. There were numerous times the ball never made it inside the 3pt line.

If I were Shaw I'd put Green and Harris in and tell them if they want to keep playing they'll play D, penetrate the lane, and get the ball in to the post. I'd put Nurkic in too, he's the only big that consistently sets good screens(because he's from Europe and they coach fundamentals). If a guy works hard to get position down low and you don't get him the ball, sit down. I'd be calling post ups for Chandler and Gallo, make them get in the lane.

We have some talented players but right now all of them think they are 3pt shooters. Even Mosgov has shot them, and not in desperation to beat the shot clock. A three pt attempt should come off a kick out or a post up, not from guys all standing outside the 3pt circle.

Should be a spectacle tonight!

Comment

• Houshmazode
                                The Mountaineer
                                • Sep 2006

This team seems to be less disciplined than when Karl was coach, which is twice as bad for this style of play.
                                :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X