What are chances of the season being canceled?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EddieMac
    Canuck Mod, eh!
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Not to mention the convenience factor. You don't have to fight traffic, you don't have to dedicate an hour before and after the game to get to and from. You can do whatever you need to do, or watch another game, until the game starts. Then once it does you can sit back and relax. During commercials you can flip to other games or check out stats etc. And if you need to step away for a second for something, you can pause it until you get back. And of course there's no lines waiting for anything.

I used to love going to Flames games, I probably went to close to 20 during the peak of my in-person viewing. This year I went to 2 and was happier watching the other games at home. I'll probably go to a game or two when they open the new building, especially once my son is old enough to go, but until then, viewing games at home is my favourite option.

Watching at home doesn't capture the true electric feel of the crowd, such as one of the hockey games I went to this year that was considered a game of the year candidate league wide. But that's really the only advantage a live game has to watching at home.
    Nothing can beat a good football trip...a good group going, drinks, the whole,stadium experience is unbeatable..

But... the game, to watch, is far more enjoyable on TV..and wayyyyy cheaper..
    sigpic

Comment

• Dotst
      Special Teams
      • Nov 2015

Why the hell would they cancel the season? Wouldnt the players still get paid regardless? So might as well play with no fans if theyre going to get paid

Comment

• MH Stampede
        Lifelong Broncos Fan
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by BR0NCOFANATIC View Post
        As we know, a lot of teams should be getting prepared for the season. Players would normally be in the gym, doing drills or practicing with each other to get in sync. Since social distancing is in place, how are teams supposed to prepare at this time? Teams will definitely be rusting going into the season.
        I think we will see...something. Doubtful its a full season though. Maybe a shortened season.

Make no mistake though, there is a very real chance there will be nothing at all.
        sigpic

Comment

• MH Stampede
          Lifelong Broncos Fan
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by CheyennePress View Post
          The properties that brought this virus all the way from Wuhan to the US, from zero cases to hundrrds of thousands confirmed, so quickly will not change. Until there is herd immunity, I expect the virus to re-emerge unless we develop means to prophylactically prevent its spread. I am afraid that with all of our efforts, it will simply appear again as soon as our guards drop. I don't foresee circumstances where tens of thousands gathering will happen for some time.
          Historically, the majority of pandemics come in waves.

It would be not surprising at all if this were to happen with covid 19.
          sigpic

Comment

• MH Stampede
            Lifelong Broncos Fan
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
            Didn’t China just go back under lockdown because they thought they were over it already and it was too soon?
            Also consider that news out of China is....suspect.
            sigpic

Comment

• MH Stampede
              Lifelong Broncos Fan
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
              ^^^

I think this had a great potential to affect the season. Depending on the continued rate of spread training camp could be severely limited it even cancelled. If that happens I would expect something, maybe not an outright cancellation of the season but possible delay and shortened season.

The issue of empty stadiums is also very real. Life should eventually return to normalcy but once quarantines are lifted I can't help but think that those who have been under them will be looking to go into highly public places soon.
              This is my expectation as well. Probably something along the lines of a 12 or 14 game season, quite possibly coupled with a shortened preseason.
              sigpic

Comment

• MH Stampede
                Lifelong Broncos Fan
                • Aug 2009

While I've enjoyed the experience of the NFL games I've seen, I think the biggest hurdle the NFL will have in attendance (talking longterm, not just this year) is that the viewing experience at home has become so good. With HDTV the sports world really changed, in my opinion.

I think we're at a tipping point where ticket prices and overall experience costs will need to go down, because the experience watching at home is so much cheaper, and in some ways much better.
                I think a decrease in the overall cost of games may come down some......when nfl games are all pay per view.
                sigpic

Comment

• Sam_Z
                  Banned User
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Dotst View Post
                  Why the hell would they cancel the season? Wouldnt the players still get paid regardless? So might as well play with no fans if theyre going to get paid
                  Because not everyone is healthy enough to go to mini camp or training camp. It takes time to get in football shape, learn the play book and gel as a unit.

There is so much that we as the public don’t even consider.

Comment

• DenverBlood
                    Football Immortal
                    • Nov 2005

A couple of thoughts.

I’ll always enjoy going to see my teams live. It’s just different. I agree with others than the crowd atmosphere adds something.

To that affect keep that in mind for a potential season with no fans. Would that be fun to watch? Some would say yes. I say no. I get we watch the play on the field. But a lot of the impact of those plays is felt through the stadium crowd reaction. Especially through playoff games.

Did anyone see that doctored video going around a month ago when they first contemplated the March madness tournament with no fans? It was the buzzer beater from Villanova over UNC. But they played what the sound would be like with no fans in attendance. I’m sure it wasn’t 100% accurate but pretty close. And it was awful.

I’m sure many think I’m nuts and just want Broncos football back period. I would watch it. But with no fans it would not be remotely as exciting in my opinion.
                    sigpic

Comment

• DenverBlood
                      Football Immortal
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                      Because not everyone is healthy enough to go to mini camp or training camp. It takes time to get in football shape, learn the play book and gel as a unit.

There is so much that we as the public don’t even consider.
                      Exactly. Free agents still can’t report yet. Trades aren’t even processed yet.

Rookies may not be able to report for June mini camps and they need the offseason program the most.
                      sigpic

Comment

• BR0NCOFANATIC
                        Playmaker
                        • May 2004

The one thing I think will help the season is if we have a mass production of self testing kits. That will allow players to be quarantined with spreading it to other players.
                        Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

• orange crush75
                          Captain
                          • Feb 2006

The season is still about 5 months away. We are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel . This country has to move on , we cant stay locked up for 3/4 of a year . The number of deaths will start to decline . The last 4 days the average numbers are starting to trend down . Hopefully we will see the drop take big strides within a couple weeks . I feel pretty confident we will see football.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                            Banned User
                            • Dec 2015

Not to mention the convenience factor. You don't have to fight traffic, you don't have to dedicate an hour before and after the game to get to and from. You can do whatever you need to do, or watch another game, until the game starts. Then once it does you can sit back and relax. During commercials you can flip to other games or check out stats etc. And if you need to step away for a second for something, you can pause it until you get back. And of course there's no lines waiting for anything.

I used to love going to Flames games, I probably went to close to 20 during the peak of my in-person viewing. This year I went to 2 and was happier watching the other games at home. I'll probably go to a game or two when they open the new building, especially once my son is old enough to go, but until then, viewing games at home is my favourite option.

Watching at home doesn't capture the true electric feel of the crowd, such as one of the hockey games I went to this year that was considered a game of the year candidate league wide. But that's really the only advantage a live game has to watching at home.
                            I’ve taken a similar approach. We typically make a trip to Denver each season for one game. We usually get the 1/2 price tickets, find a cheap flight and book a place on AirBnB. Here at home our local crew of Broncos fans meets at one of several local sports bars for the game. The stadium experience it great but I’m good with that occasionally.

Comment

• jazzbodog
                              Football Immortal
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post
                              Historically, the majority of pandemics come in waves.

It would be not surprising at all if this were to happen with covid 19.
                              You are correct. I just finished viewing some web sites educating myself on the 1918 Flu pandemic which technically began in Europe in 1916 and ended in 1919. It is usually referred to as the 1918 Pandemic due to that being the height and the deadliest year world wide.

1st Wave: April 1918 is when this flu started to accelerate world wide and by October 1918 there were 195,000 deaths alone in the USA.

2nd Wave: September - November 1918 was highly fatal and when most deaths occurred world wide. The most probable reason is believed to be that the virus mutated within large groups of WWI soldiers moving about in numerous ships, trains and large military encampments.

3rd Wave: January to early spring 1919 and the flu virus finally ended in the summer 1919 due to people who had it either died or became immune.

It appears likely we will have a second wave of this virus right about the time the 2020 NFL season begins. BUMMER!

Fascinating information / history. Go online and check it out.
                              Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                                Banned User
                                • Dec 2015

I’m becoming less optimistic the season will start on time. Not because of Covid-19, rather the fear it has put into our society and the over-stated predictions by organizations like the IHME. The IHME projections continue being revised down and the numbers haven’t materialized. For those affected it’s awful, and that’s sad. At the same time we cannot continue keeping the country shut down for an extended period of time. It is time to begin planning how to get the country back open. Other countries like Denmark and Austria are opening back up.

Comment

Working...
                                X