• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 58Miller
    Football Immortal
    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
    he's also 240 lbs, a bruiser like that should be good against a stacked box. he gets those opportunities because lindsay isn't as good against stacked boxes or in 3rd/4th and short situations. gordon can do it all and do it better.
    When Gordon is healthy he’s good but struggles to play 16 games and two is better than one.

Lindsay is a stud in the red zone:
    https://www.pff.com/news/pro-the-nfls-best-red-zone-running-backs-in-2018/

74.9 ranked fourth among running backs. In addition, he also ran for a first down or touchdown on 34% of his red-zone carries, tying for 17th out of 66 players at the position.

And the best before contact:
    Yes, the "eye test" tells us that Phillip Lindsay is one of the best running backs in the NFL this year. But, these advanced stats show just how sensational he's been this year.
    Last edited by 58Miller; 07-14-2019, 02:34 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• baphamet
      Family Trust Beer
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
      If Dallas' offensive line is so much better than SD's, then why the hell did Austin Ekeler average 5.2 yards per carry, and Rod Smith average 2.9? If Melvin Gordon was on the Cowboys, they wouldn't have been a playoff team last year. Facts, man.
      smith sucks? he ran the ball less than 30 times all season, too small of a sample size to compare dude. Ekeler is a good ass part time runner and one of the bets in the league catching the ball out of the back field. you couldn't possibly be arguing that Dallas' OL isn't way better than the chargers lol

you seem to be saying that because gordon got hurt that the cowboys wouldn't have made the playoffs had he been there? well, my point is that Gordon wouldn't be taking the punishment that he does if he ran behind the far superior OL. elliot isn't getting hit behind the LOS like gordon does constantly.

backs get hurt and miss time for various opther reasons, bell has missed more time than gordon, do you consider him "always hurt" as well?

i do agree with you that gordon shouldn't be paid the money he wants but i believe that about all backs,

Comment

• 58Miller
        Football Immortal
        • Jul 2013

smith sucks? he ran the ball less than 30 times all season, too small of a sample size to compare dude. Ekeler is a good ass part time runner and one of the bets in the league catching the ball out of the back field. you couldn't possibly be arguing that Dallas' OL isn't way better than the chargers lol

you seem to be saying that because gordon got hurt that the cowboys wouldn't have made the playoffs had he been there? well, my point is that Gordon wouldn't be taking the punishment that he does if he ran behind the far superior OL. elliot isn't getting hit behind the LOS like gordon does constantly.

backs get hurt and miss time for various opther reasons, bell has missed more time than gordon, do you consider him "always hurt" as well?

i do agree with you that gordon shouldn't be paid the money he wants but i believe that about all backs,
        Your right the Chargers O-line is trash!
        sigpic

Comment

• Spice 1
          Football Immortal
          • Sep 2004

Dude, you're the only Chargers fan on the planet I'd share a fox hole with, but you're killing me with the Melvin Gordon stuff. lol. I'm actually making an argument for your boy Rivers here. You can argue offensive lines all day, but Gordon simply does not have defenses keying on him like Zeke does. Zeke takes a pounding, because everybody they play knows he's their offense. The Chargers are not wearing defenses out by hammering Melvin Gordon at them for 60 minutes. They've got Phillip Rivers.

And Smith had 44 carries last year. I know it's not a big difference, but all that does is prove that Elliott never comes off the field. I mean, Ekeler and Jackson had 156 carries and averaged 4.8 yards per carry.
          Last edited by Spice 1; 07-14-2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• 58Miller
            Football Immortal
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
            Dude, you're the only Chargers fan on the planet I'd share a fox hole with, but you're killing me with the Melvin Gordon stuff. lol. I'm actually making an argument for your boy Rivers here. You can argue offensive lines all day, but Gordon simply does not have defenses keying on him like Zeke does. Zeke takes a pounding, because everybody they play knows he's their offense. The Chargers are not wearing defenses out by hammering Melvin Gordon at them for 60 minutes. They've got Phillip Rivers.

And Smith had 44 carries last year. I know it's not a big difference, but all that does is prove that Elliott never comes off the field. I mean, Ekeler and Jackson had 156 carries and averaged 4.8 yards per carry.
            Gordon has one thousand yard season in his career. Baphs slams Lindsay but you compare their rookie seasons and Lindsay is on another level and played on a less talented offense.
            sigpic

Comment

• arapaho
              reserved for losing bet
              • Mar 2004

are you sure about that? look what happened when connor stepped in to run behind that line, they barely missed a beat running the football. look at the line that zeke runs behind? both those lines are elite OL's in the NFL while the chargers are bottom 5 units.

gordon runs behind much weaker run blocking than those guys, the chargers OL is by far the weakest unit on the team currently.

Only 3 NFL running backs averaged 70+ rushing YPG and 40+ receiving YPG in 2018:

1. Todd Gurley
              2. Saquon Barkley
              3. Melvin Gordon

Of those 3, Gordon was the ONLY one who averaged MORE than 6.0 yards per TOUCH.

Since 2016, Melvin Gordon’s production:
              * 28 rushing TD, T-2nd most in the NFL
              * 10 receiving TD, T-4th most amongst RB
              * 38 TD from scrimmage, 2nd most in the NFL

Melvin Gordon is the only running back in the NFL to earn an 80.0-plus grade when carrying the football against a defense with eight or more men in the box

if you put gotdon behind a line like dallas or pits? he would definitely be as good if not better than both zeke and bell. the only issue would be staying healthy.

that said, I am not down for giving him the kind of money he wants especially if hes going to demand a trade if he doesn't get what he wants by TC. I say to any player that makes a threat like that......

geee it would seem that a once in a lifetime back as you describe, would be readily given a new contract worthy of his superior abilities
              a no brainer !!

pay the man!!

once in a lifetime back!!

but then the reality sets in and you realize hes just a good back who cant stay healthy
              sigpic
              when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• arapaho
                reserved for losing bet
                • Mar 2004

he's also 240 lbs, a bruiser like that should be good against a stacked box. he gets those opportunities because lindsay isn't as good against stacked boxes or in 3rd/4th and short situations. gordon can do it all and do it better.

Melvin gordon
                3rd and4th down short yardage 7 attempts 17 yards, 2.4 ypa, 1td

philiip lindsey
                3rd and 4th down short yardage, 10 attempts, 27 yards, 2.7ypa 1 td

just saying
                Last edited by arapaho; 07-15-2019, 01:04 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
                  Football Immortal
                  • May 2010

Gordon now is demanding to trade him or pay him

DOUG GOTTLIEB & ROB PARKER react to running back Melvin Gordon demanding a trade unless he's offered a proper salary.► SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/FSRYT_SUB► Tw...

who knows what he says about anything
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm
                  latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Sam_Z
                    Banned User
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Duh I’m Darph, I always say stupid things
                    Listen foo, Lindsay would never pull this “pay me or trade” crap days before training camp. With that alone, Lindsay is better and oh yeah he’s averaged more yards per carry plus he’s a lot faster and that’s from an undrafted free agent over a first round blow hard!

Comment

• arapaho
                      reserved for losing bet
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                      Your right the Chargers O-line is trash!
                      37 million dollar a year offensive line is trash... telesco doing his thing
                      sigpic

Comment

• baphamet
                        Family Trust Beer
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                        Listen foo, Lindsay would never pull this “pay me or trade” crap days before training camp. With that alone, Lindsay is better and oh yeah he’s averaged more yards per carry plus he’s a lot faster and that’s from an undrafted free agent over a first round blow hard!
                        LOL first you say you know what he would do as if you know the guy, this is a new trend among RB's, now elliot is doing it too, just not as publicly.. second you try to say hes better when he's clearly a niche player and isn't a every down back like Gordon is?

no he isn't better lol

Comment

• baphamet
                          Family Trust Beer
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                          https://www.pro-football-reference.c...0/splits/2018/
                          Melvin gordon
                          3rd and4th down short yardage 7 attempts 17 yards, 2.4 ypa, 1td

philiip lindsey
                          3rd and 4th down short yardage, 10 attempts, 27 yards, 2.7ypa 1 td

just saying

where is lindsay at? and why is your second string bruiser up there?

linday is only good when he has room to run, he isn't an every down back (YET) and hes only played one season, behind a much better
                          OL than Gordon runs behind.

Comment

• baphamet
                            Family Trust Beer
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                            37 million dollar a year offensive line is trash... telesco doing his thing
                            telesco has not been very good at managing the OL, i'll give you that for sure. but what about the worlds best NFL GM? dude is a former HOF QB and has no clue how to build an offense. he's failed at bringing in even a mediocre QB. offensive skill positions are lack luster, he got lucky with an UDFA RB that may or may not pan out long term. other than that? even his OL isn't anything to write home about but as mediocre as it is overall, it's still the best position group on offense other than lindsay.

telesco, while not perfect (and i never claimed he was great, have i?) has been lights out across the board other than OL. he did struggle finding a kicker but that's over with now. the chargers also have lamp healthy and very likely to take a spot at guard which could help a lot. they also drafted a tackle but he probably wont be ready to start this year so right tackle will likely be a weakness again.

that is my honest take. even if gordon doesn't play or holds out a while, the chargers will still have a potent offense and defense while the broncos will have a potent defense and an inept offense, just like they have had the past few years.

Comment

• Sam_Z
                              Banned User
                              • Dec 2004

LOL first you say you know what he would do as if you know the guy, this is a new trend among RB's, now elliot is doing it too, just not as publicly.. second you try to say hes better when he's clearly a niche player and isn't a every down back like Gordon is?

no he isn't better lol
                              We can make a cp bet there too

Comment

• 58Miller
                                Football Immortal
                                • Jul 2013

telesco has not been very good at managing the OL, i'll give you that for sure. but what about the worlds best NFL GM? dude is a former HOF QB and has no clue how to build an offense. he's failed at bringing in even a mediocre QB. offensive skill positions are lack luster, he got lucky with an UDFA RB that may or may not pan out long term. other than that? even his OL isn't anything to write home about but as mediocre as it is overall, it's still the best position group on offense other than lindsay.

telesco, while not perfect (and i never claimed he was great, have i?) has been lights out across the board other than OL. he did struggle finding a kicker but that's over with now. the chargers also have lamp healthy and very likely to take a spot at guard which could help a lot. they also drafted a tackle but he probably wont be ready to start this year so right tackle will likely be a weakness again.

that is my honest take. even if gordon doesn't play or holds out a while, the chargers will still have a potent offense and defense while the broncos will have a potent defense and an inept offense, just like they have had the past few years.
                                Telesco is no different than any otter GM
                                Meanwhile......
                                Elway::
                                5 division Titles
                                2 conference championships
                                Super Bowl title
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X