• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELWAY421
    Football Immortal
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Ohio State reminds me of the Oklahoma Wishbone teams of the Seventies and Eighties: big, strong, deep, fast and hard hitting. They can turn the ball over multiple times and still win. If the Buckeyes don't turn the ball over, I don't think they can be beaten. They might be unbeatable regardless.
    I like the way you think Sam.

Comment

• samparnell
      Soy Capitan Meshpoint
      • Nov 2007

The season opener Monday Night would have been more interesting if Michael Brewer hadn't gotten hurt. It is an occupational hazard of playing Ohio State as Marcus Mariota discovered.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• ELWAY421
        Football Immortal
        • Dec 2007

The season opener Monday Night would have been more interesting if Michael Brewer hadn't gotten hurt. It is an occupational hazard of playing Ohio State as Marcus Mariota discovered.
        I'm really trying to stay humble. In that game Ohio St was missing a few good players, including possibly the best defensive player in the nation. Talent wise I don't think any team matches up with the Buckeyes. People can talk about the SEC all they want, but we see how that played out last year. The SEC wasn't really dominant last year in bowl seasons, and Ohio St handled the SEC's best in Alabama. In fact Ohio St out physicalled Alabama.

Comment

• ELWAY421
          Football Immortal
          • Dec 2007

I tried to to tell people Urban would change things in Columbus, and was called a moron by many. Urban Meyer is a modern day Woody Hayes.

Comment

• samparnell
            Soy Capitan Meshpoint
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
            I tried to to tell people Urban would change things in Columbus, and was called a moron by many. Urban Meyer is a modern day Woody Hayes.
            That's an interesting comparison. Ohio State football history would have been so different if they had hired Sid Gillman instead. He was available.

Since the current Ohio State football teams remind me of the Oklahoma Sooners of the Seventies and Eighties, maybe Barry Switzer would be more my comparison. As a person, I think Urban Meyer reminds me more of Ara Parseghian.

Never was much of a Woody Hayes fan. His math didn't add up: 3 + 3 + 3 = 9, Punt
            Last edited by samparnell; 09-11-2015, 09:04 AM. Reason: typo
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• DenverBlood
              Football Immortal
              • Nov 2005

Despite what happened in January I'll still take Alabama to beat Ohio st any day of the week. History favors my opinion and one bad performance in January doesn't change that opinion.

This Alabama team is definitely noticeably stronger than last year and by December the QB play will be better than last year.

Personally I prefer Ohio st to win of the two. But I think media is massively overhyping the talent of Ohio st this year. Gee I guess I sound like the pot calling the kettle black after how many years people said media overhyped SEC.

Still though Saban has a good record against Meyer. And one win doesn't automatically throw Meyer to the tops of the charts.

I do think Ohio st has a much easier road to the playoff and will be there again. So we will likely find out. But I still think Alabama looked much more impressive Saturday than Ohio st did Monday. But I'll reserve judgement and credit you guys with missing some key players.
              sigpic

Comment

• Spice 1
                Football Immortal
                • Sep 2004

That's an interesting comparison. Ohio State football history would have been so different if they had hired Sid Gillman instead. He was available.

Since the current Ohio State football teams remind me of the Oklahoma Sooners of the Seventies and Eighties, maybe Barry Switzer would be more my comparison. As a person, I think Urban Meyer reminds me more of Ara Parseghian.

Never was much of a Woody Hayes fan. His math didn't add up: 3 + 3 + 3 = 9, Punt
                lol. That's the first time I've ever heard that. I guess that's what the cloud of dust is for. To blind the opponent, and go for it on 4th and 1.

Comment

• Spice 1
                  Football Immortal
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                  Despite what happened in January I'll still take Alabama to beat Ohio st any day of the week. History favors my opinion and one bad performance in January doesn't change that opinion.

This Alabama team is definitely noticeably stronger than last year and by December the QB play will be better than last year.

Personally I prefer Ohio st to win of the two. But I think media is massively overhyping the talent of Ohio st this year. Gee I guess I sound like the pot calling the kettle black after how many years people said media overhyped SEC.

Still though Saban has a good record against Meyer. And one win doesn't automatically throw Meyer to the tops of the charts.

I do think Ohio st has a much easier road to the playoff and will be there again. So we will likely find out. But I still think Alabama looked much more impressive Saturday than Ohio st did Monday. But I'll reserve judgement and credit you guys with missing some key players.
                  Based on week 1, I kind of think Alabama would win. I do think that Bosa is a difference maker on defense though. Bosa in the lineup could change my opinion. I have no doubts that they could score points on Alabama, though.

Comment

• DenverBlood
                    Football Immortal
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                    Based on week 1, I kind of think Alabama would win. I do think that Bosa is a difference maker on defense though. Bosa in the lineup could change my opinion. I have no doubts that they could score points on Alabama, though.
                    Right. I mean if Wisconsins offense can score 17 on Alabama there is no reason Ohio st. can't score in the 20's. I just don't necessarily believe that 1 night in January defines the state of both football programs.

I just remember for a month hearing about how elite Bama was compared to all other football programs and nobody could beat them. Especially not Ohio st who lost to Va tech. Now we are going to hear all year this year how Ohio st. is unbeatable with crazy depth. Except Bama's depth can match anyone in the country.

Again don't get me wrong. In a matchup I would root for you guys same as last year. I just wasn't nearly as impressed with the defending champs as the team wanting revenge. I also wouldn't bet against Saban in a rematch. He has already done it to Meyer once before.

Lost a 7 point game to Florida in the SEC title game only to trounce him the following year.

That said Elways comment wasn't exactly wrong that when healthy Ohio st can beat anybody. They certainly can. I just think Alabama has a great shot to punch anyone in the mouth too.
                    sigpic

Comment

• the0rangecrush
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2009

JT Barrett was arrested for an ovi this morning.
                      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                      I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• ELWAY421
                        Football Immortal
                        • Dec 2007

Coach Urban Meyer just finished his 4th season with the Buckeyes, and in that span he's 50-4! Not bad at all.

Comment

• ELWAY421
                          Football Immortal
                          • Dec 2007

The Buckeyes are putting quite a few good players in the draft this year. Watching pro day right now to see how Cardale looks.

Comment

• atwaterandstir
                            Football Immortal
                            • Jul 2012

Let's go Penn State!

This is a game I have been looking forward to all season. 12 Eastern start today if anyone wants to catch a great matchup.

Comment

• atwaterandstir
                              Football Immortal
                              • Jul 2012

Buckeyes are too tough for the Lions once again. Both defenses played really well but it was a one sided game from the start.

Comment

• ELWAY421
                                Football Immortal
                                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                                Buckeyes are too tough for the Lions once again. Both defenses played really well but it was a one sided game from the start.
                                That game was a lot closer than I thought it would be.

Comment

Working...
                                X