• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pozbaird
    Captain
    • Oct 2009

The Soccer Thread

There doesn't seem to be one, and as I have been guilty of mentioning the sport in other threads, I thought maybe a dedicated place for any Broncos fans to chat about the sport might be good, instead of idiots like me going off-topic in other threads.

Personally (see signature pic), I'm a lifelong fan of Scottish club St Mirren. We are from Paisley, 5 miles west of Glasgow, and play in the Scottish Premier League, Scotland's top league. I'm born and bred in Paisley, they are my local team. Soccer in Scotland is dominated by our two largest clubs, Celtic and Rangers, with both clubs coming from Glasgow. Rangers are in an area of Glasgow called Ibrox about 5 miles away from Paisley, Celtic in an area called Parkhead about 9 miles to the east. For us then, it is a major battle to have a successful and well-supported side, given our geographical proximity to the two 'giants'. Down the years though, we've done pretty well as a small 'underdog' team, and at the time of writing this, we have just reached one of Scotland's two major cup final competitions, where we will play Rangers in the final.

I also like following soccer in other leagues. My favourite English team is Newcastle United, and in Spain, I follow the results of Real Madrid.

Let battle commence.....
    Last edited by pozbaird; 02-15-2010, 06:31 AM.
    Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA
  • BRONCOS_OWN_U16
    Banned User
    • Sep 2004

there isnt a thread becaue soccer isnt a sport.

Comment

• pozbaird
      Captain
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16 View Post
      there isnt a thread becaue soccer isnt a sport.

The rest of the planet might disagree, but thanks for your constructive input. Personally, I don't see what is entertaining about tall men lobbing a big brown ball into a small net, but I don't go into a basketball thread and try to tell people their sport is trash.
      Last edited by pozbaird; 02-15-2010, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• pozbaird
        Captain
        • Oct 2009

Seems I'm the only one interested in the strange beast the world calls 'soccer'. I find it a bit puzzling - especially as the USA have a good team who qualified for the World Cup in South Africa, and were drawn in the same group as England. The USA women's team are a top team in the world too. You guys are pretty damn good at both the men's and women's World Cups. I hope some of you are planning to get behind the USA team in South Africa this summer!

Comment

• Vhailor
          Analytical Thinker
          • Mar 2009

I am a Liverpool-fan. Got it from my dad. Kind of anguished over the state of the Reds right now.

In Spain, I follow Barcelona (began following them because of Romario) and Inter in Italy (began following them because of Nicola Ventola).
          Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
          sigpic

Comment

• Andyy_47
            Best in the World.
            • Sep 2008

Another Newcastle fan? Say it ain't so, I love Newcastle!

I went down for the Shearer testimonial when they beat Celtic Was a great great day!

As you can tell my favourite team is Rangers, then Newcastle, in the EPL it has to be Arsenal, their football is amazing. I think though I'm one of the few people who like Manchester United. Their ethos and what they stand for is something I can respect: The player is never bigger than the club.

Good luck to the Buddies tonight. It's Ally McCoist managing tonight, and he'll end up picking Fleck, Andrew Little and stuff I expect.

Comment

• Andyy_47
              Best in the World.
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by pozbaird View Post
              The rest of the planet might disagree, but thanks for your constructive input. Personally, I don't see what is entertaining about tall men lobbing a big brown ball into a small net, but I don't go into a basketball thread and try to tell people their sport is trash.
              Pretty much this. Nor do I see the merit in toothless canadians and eastern european, doing what can only be described as 'gliding on frozen water' to put a puck between two posts. Much like football, but I would never go into an NHL thread and rip it apart, each to their own.

And WWE and TNA aren't even sports. It's glorified amateur theater. But I won't go and tell everyone who posts in that thread that it's a waste of time and it's not a sport because everyone is entitled to their own. Funnily enough Soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world and played across every country in the world.

Comment

• pozbaird
                Captain
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Andyy_47 View Post
                Pretty much this. Nor do I see the merit in toothless canadians and eastern european, doing what can only be described as 'gliding on frozen water' to put a puck between two posts. Much like football, but I would never go into an NHL thread and rip it apart, each to their own.

And WWE and TNA aren't even sports. It's glorified amateur theater. But I won't go and tell everyone who posts in that thread that it's a waste of time and it's not a sport because everyone is entitled to their own. Funnily enough Soccer is by far the most popular sport in the world and played across every country in the world.

About three years or so ago my wife and I were on holiday in Toronto. The Maple Leafs were playing the Montreal Canadiens at the Air Canada Centre in a pre-season 'warm up' match. We got tickets for it, and as someone who knew little about the sport beforehand, I have to say it was sensational - they hate each other anyway, and it was a full-on in-your-face game. The Air Canada Centre is the best venue I've ever been in, anywhere. Steeply banked seats right on top of the rink, a full-house, and the atmosphere was electric.

We were lucky on that trip, because we also got tickets to see R.E.M. in concert at the Air Canada Centre too.

Back to soccer though.....I try to get down to see Newcastle once a season at least, they've been my favourite English team for years. Newcastle is a great place for a weekend visit anyway, and the stadium is slap-bang in the centre of town too. Hopefully they don't implode this season and get back to the Premiership.

Comment

• Andyy_47
                  Best in the World.
                  • Sep 2008

About three years or so ago my wife and I were on holiday in Toronto. The Maple Leafs were playing the Montreal Canadiens at the Air Canada Centre in a pre-season 'warm up' match. We got tickets for it, and as someone who knew little about the sport beforehand, I have to say it was sensational - they hate each other anyway, and it was a full-on in-your-face game. The Air Canada Centre is the best venue I've ever been in, anywhere. Steeply banked seats right on top of the rink, a full-house, and the atmosphere was electric.

We were lucky on that trip, because we also got tickets to see R.E.M. in concert at the Air Canada Centre too.

Back to soccer though.....I try to get down to see Newcastle once a season at least, they've been my favourite English team for years. Newcastle is a great place for a weekend visit anyway, and the stadium is slap-bang in the centre of town too. Hopefully they don't implode this season and get back to the Premiership.
                  R.E.M, jealous.

I've tried to watch games but I really can't get through hockey, it gets me so incredibly bored. I can stomach Basketball if its a good game, college in particular is excellent.

But by far I think the two "most boring" sports in the eyes of everyone I know are NFL and MLB, both of which I really enjoy, I love NFL (clearly) and I'm just starting to get into MLB but I watch the whole post-season and loved it.

I hope they get into the premiership this year because they were so screwed out of it last year. Screwed by themselves, every result on that last day of the season went their way, and they blew if with an own goal.

I've loved them since Shearer signed for them. I can't say enough nice words about that man, signing for your hometown club as opposed to Man United really speaks volumes for him. I plan on going down soon to a game, Newcastle is just a fantastic city.

Oh and my tickets for the first game of Levein's reign as Scotland Manager came through today I'm really excited, bring back Boyd and Ferguson!!

Comment

• xX-Bronco-Xx
                    Is this the real life?
                    • Jul 2005

I'd love to watch soccer but it is never on and I don't have ESPN so there is no chance in me watching it!

I can't wait for the World Cup this summer though I'll definitely have to watch some of the games through the internet.

Comment

• Andyy_47
                      Best in the World.
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                      I'd love to watch soccer but it is never on and I don't have ESPN so there is no chance in me watching it!

I can't wait for the World Cup this summer though I'll definitely have to watch some of the games through the internet.
                      There is usually alot of streams going circulating the internet. For games.

I usually don't get too psyched for the World Cup, but this year should be great. As much as I hate to say it, I think England have a really good chance.

I'll catch up with this thread later, off to work!

Comment

• Andyy_47
                        Best in the World.
                        • Sep 2008

Unlucky Poz...really thought that game was going to extra time. That proves why we need to pay Boyd. Especially since we just announced a large profitable year.

Rooney, one of the best players in the world? I've been saying it since the start of the season. He's below Messi, but above Ronaldo.

Comment

• pozbaird
                          Captain
                          • Oct 2009

Unlucky Poz...really thought that game was going to extra time. That proves why we need to pay Boyd. Especially since we just announced a large profitable year.

Rooney, one of the best players in the world? I've been saying it since the start of the season. He's below Messi, but above Ronaldo.
                          Nothing surer - as I said to you in a message before the game. I told you Boyd would score, I told you we could play for a month and not score, and I pointed out the two late goals we lost on Saturday against Dundee United, and indeed we lost again last night to a goal 4 minutes from time. Oh, so utterly predicatable.

Comment

• Andyy_47
                            Best in the World.
                            • Sep 2008

Nothing surer - as I said to you in a message before the game. I told you Boyd would score, I told you we could play for a month and not score, and I pointed out the two late goals we lost on Saturday against Dundee United, and indeed we lost again last night to a goal 4 minutes from time. Oh, so utterly predicatable.
                            Yup, there's nothing surer in life than death, taxes, and Kris Boyd breaking hearts of other team's fans.

Comment

• pozbaird
                              Captain
                              • Oct 2009

Yup, there's nothing surer in life than death, taxes, and Kris Boyd breaking hearts of other team's fans.

...except Celtic's. How many has Boyd scored against Celtic again?

Comment

Working...
                              X