John Elway - Greatest NFL Player/GM In History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

Hey gang....though I wanted to present a storyline that might be interesting "Greatest NFL Player/GM Of All Time", I did not want to take away from Ozzie Newsome. He is a legend to me. He hasn't played for at least 3 decades, starting back in the 70s, so he may not be a familiar player name for some here. But he had a great career as a Tight End....and what he has accomplished as an Exec is fantastic!! So comparing Elway to him in this dual role is a big statement in itself.

Interesting how Newsome and Elways' playing careers intersected....for some great wins for us, and some difficult ones for Ozzie.

Comment

• Capt. Jack
      Football Immortal
      • Oct 2010

Ozzie has done a great job, he was a great player and a great GM!
      I just didn't like the Browns, and really don't like the Ravens.

Comment

• GiddyupGetEm
        Special Teams
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Elway has been an Exec/GM for 9 years, whereas Newsome for 28. Same number of SB appearances. In his first 9 seasons Elway made the playoffs 5 times including 2 SB appearances, while Newsome only made the playoffs once (no SB appearances). Sure, Newsome's career as an Exec is better, partly due to longevity, whereas Elway was the more important player, plus he had a hand in 7 of our 8 SB appearances. Newsome has 2 including as a player and Exec.

I like Ozzie. He was a great TE and after a slow start, became a respected/successful GM. That's why this is a close competition thus far. But if Elway stays as GM for 5 or more years, I am convinced he will have the better overall career.....therefore the best player/GM in NFL history.
        Five more years?!? Elway has missed the playoffs four straight years. If he doesn’t make the playoffs this year, I don’t think the Ellis and the Bowlens will extend Elway’s contract.

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
          Five more years?!? Elway has missed the playoffs four straight years. If he doesn’t make the playoffs this year, I don’t think the Ellis and the Bowlens will extend Elway’s contract.
          You don't think this team is better? You don't think we have the building blocks in place to give us a real shot at the playoffs, if not this year, into the following years?

Hey, I can't convince anyone to see it the way I do, but I see UPSIDE, and this after a few years of concern. Again, if you check the data, I would say that Newsome must have been on shaky ground for those first 9 years in a leadership capacity. Happy he got the chance to move beyond, given it's not one person's total responsibility. Then again, it appears Elway is being assessed that way at times.

Comment

• Ear2dastreets
            Hall of Famer
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
            Ridiculous thread.

Ozzie Newsome drafted 31 Pro Bowlers, 15 First Team All Pros, and three Hall of Famers (plus Suggs and Yanda will probably be in Canton within a decade).

Elway’s drafted just four Pro Bowlers (one of whom didn’t even make the PB until he left Denver) and just ONE All Pro (Von).
            Agreed....can't believe this was posted...if manning chose S.F. over us we would not be having this conversation. But everyone view is different.
            Again UNTIL WE DRAFT A QB IN THE TOP 10....we will not be a contender. Plz stop taking other team garbage qbs and late 1st rounders Qbs. We have NEVER selected a qb top 10

Comment

• Ear2dastreets
              Hall of Famer
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
              Bronco fan first but Elway is not the goat. It took a run game to get him over the hump with a W when it counts the most on Super Bowl Sunday.

Montana and Brady should only be argued for the on field GOAT QB
              Agreed. Elway is a very good player. But he had his struggle as a player too. Won 1st sb once TD got there.
              Again UNTIL WE DRAFT A QB IN THE TOP 10....we will not be a contender. Plz stop taking other team garbage qbs and late 1st rounders Qbs. We have NEVER selected a qb top 10

Comment

• CanDB
                Football Immortal
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
                Agreed....can't believe this was posted...if manning chose S.F. over us we would not be having this conversation. But everyone view is different.
                So it's not worth discussing? Just asking. I think that being a great player and NFL GM is worthy of recognition. So maybe Elway is 2nd for many. Is there a 3rd? When I posted I wasn't sure who else was in the running, but Lynch has potential.

I actually think this could be a good conversation. If you note, I added a question mark to Elway's status. I see him #1 for sure, if he continues to have reasonable GM success. Another SB would definitely seal it. Ozzie had a lot of suspect years, and Elway is way ahead of him in the initial 9 year comparison.

The question for me is....is this a reasonable topic to discuss here? I say absolutely. Sure, I initiated it, but without looking around, I am sure this will be written or even has been written about by far better analysts than me. So even if Newsome was deemed to be #1, what's the problem with discussing? That's what makes this board better.
                Last edited by CanDB; 05-16-2020, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• Hadez
                  Football Immortal
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                  Bronco fan first but Elway is not the goat. It took a run game to get him over the hump with a W when it counts the most on Super Bowl Sunday.

Montana and Brady should only be argued for the on field GOAT QB
                  Think the point was made in terms of QB Elway is top 5 or top 3.

You seem to be agreeing to that with your post points but disagreeing with your comment?

Btw anyone who thinks Montana did not need his run game never saw Roger Craig and Rathman work the defense.

Elway needed his HoF team mates just like Montana needed Rice/Lott/Haley and Walsh.
                  What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                  effort x talent = skill
                  effort x skill = achievement
                  How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• CanDB
                    Football Immortal
                    • Mar 2008

Agreed. Elway is a very good player. But he had his struggle as a player too. Won 1st sb once TD got there.
                    OK....like most players, Elway struggled a little, but the guy's in the top handful who ever played the game......5 SB appearances!!!

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                      Football Immortal
                      • Oct 2010

There was a lot of Bronco teams that Elway carried to the playoffs by himself.

Comment

• CanDB
                        Football Immortal
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                        Think the point was made in terms of QB Elway is top 5 or top 3.

You seem to be agreeing to that with your post points but disagreeing with your comment?

Btw anyone who thinks Montana did not need his run game never saw Roger Craig and Rathman work the defense.

Elway needed his HoF team mates just like Montana needed Rice/Lott/Haley and Walsh.
                        Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                        There was a lot of Bronco teams that Elway carried to the playoffs by himself.
                        Yes....(even though this is not only about his playing career) forget about stats and things that look weaker than nowadays. The game is different. Ds back then hurt you and hurt you bad! The rules did not favour Os like they do now. Compare players to players from their respective eras. And then, when you want to truly compare all players, count the rings and the playoff runs. Elway is legend!

Comment

• Ear2dastreets
                          Hall of Famer
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          OK....like most players, Elway struggled a little, but the guy's in the top handful who ever played the game......5 SB appearances!!!
                          I will give you player. I agreed with you. When I think of top gms for me elway isn't jumping off the page to me.

Comment

• Hadez
                            Football Immortal
                            • Nov 2004

but Elway did get PM and we are having this conversation because it did happen.

I liked the What If comics as much as anyone!

Maybe we should make a what if part of the forums so we can talk about what if Ozzie does not sign Sharpe and the Broncos did not have Rahim Moore which would leave Ozzie without a Ring.
                            effort x talent = skill
                            How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                              Football Immortal
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                              but Elway did get PM and we are having this conversation because it did happen.

I liked the What If comics as much as anyone!

Maybe we should make a what if part of the forums so we can talk about what if Ozzie does not sign Sharpe and the Broncos did not have Rahim Moore which would leave Ozzie without a Ring.
                              Great post!!!

CP on the way!

Comment

• Hadez
                                Football Immortal
                                • Nov 2004

The funny thing about the PM argument against Elway is PM was carried to SB50 win by the epic defense.

PM played a role but he was hurt many games of the season and I think a lot of QBs could have led us to SB50 Ring.
                                effort x talent = skill

Comment

Working...
                                X