• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Starbroncs
    All-Pro
    • Dec 2007

3d TV gaming?

So this is slightly about gaming, not sure where it belonged and sorry if im posting in the wrong section. I own a ps3 and they are starting to move heavily towards 3D.

Due to some piece of crap breaking down and costing an arm and a leg to fix I find myself needing to buy a new tv. Im entrigued by the idea of buying a new 3d tv since I would want one eventually but dont really want to buy a tv now if im going to just buy another one in a year or two.

Im not very tech savvy and most of the details on tvs confuses me, also I have no idea what 3d tvs are even like.

Anyone wanna help me out here? I know ps3 is moving towards a bunch of 3d content but how expensive would a good sized 3d tv (about 40-48', I dont need a massive tv) cost? Are they already compatible with everything and is it a good time to purchase one? What brand would be ideal?

Anyone out there even buy a 3d tv yet?

Thanks.
  • Amari24
    Starter
    • Jan 2010

Most games don't and won't support 3D in the future. And some of the games that do support 3D, like Batman:AA, they require you to use 3D glasses..

PS3 3D

As for TVs, I'm not sure. Check around on the Walmart or Best buy sites.

I know they have 40in Samsung 3D TVs, so you can check some of those out.

I haven't brought one and I'm leaning towards not buying one period. I think it would be a waste of money for me because not all games will support the 3D effect, and you will most likely need 3D glasses for the ones that do.

Im in need of a new 20in-30in LCD TV right now because my previous one from a couple of years ago got a crack in the screen when I was moving, and I only had for about 8 months up to that point, so it was pretty much still new.. I'm not sure if it can be fixed or not, but I still have it. I'm not really interested in 3D TVs to be honest..
    Last edited by Amari24; 06-18-2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• Starbroncs
      All-Pro
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
      Most games don't and won't support 3D in the future. And some of the games that do support 3D, like Batman:AA, they require you to use 3D glasses..

PS3 3D

As for TVs, I'm not sure. Check around on the Walmart or Best buy sites.

I know they have 40in Samsung 3D TVs, so you can check some of those out.

I haven't brought one and I'm leaning towards not buying one period. I think it would be a waste of money for me because not all games will support the 3D effect, and you will most likely need 3D glasses for the ones that do. Im in need of a 20in-30in LCD TV right now because my previous one from a couple of years ago got a crack in the screen when I was moving, and it was pretty much still new. I'm not sure if it can be fixed but I still have it. I'm not really interested in 3D TVs to be honest..
      well obviously not all games are going to support it, but sony seems to be really pushing 3d, they already have like 4 games that you can play in 3d. Its not like you have to play everything in 3d, its just cool to have that feature and many movies are starting to use the feature as well.

I know for sure I want one sometime soon, im just afraid of spending so much money on one at this time because they are so new, im sure this technology will drastically advance within the next year but I need a tv now... and it would be really hard to buy a decent tv now, and then a new 3d tv in a year or two.

Comment

• Amari24
        Starter
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Starbroncs View Post
        well obviously not all games are going to support it, but sony seems to be really pushing 3d, they already have like 4 games that you can play in 3d. Its not like you have to play everything in 3d, its just cool to have that feature and many movies are starting to use the feature as well.

I know for sure I want one sometime soon, im just afraid of spending so much money on one at this time because they are so new, im sure this technology will drastically advance within the next year but I need a tv now... and it would be really hard to buy a decent tv now, and then a new 3d tv in a year or two.
        Well I know for a fact there are 40in 3D TVs. I've seen em all around Walmart, Best Buy, hhgreg, etc. I would be weary about spending a whole lot of money on one of them right now. If they break after your warranty is up, and they can't be fixed then that would suck.

Thats why I'm just sticking to buying normal TVs. Hopefully 3D games and movies won't become standards in the future because at that point, we're going to be forced to buy 3D TVs if you want to see games and movies in full quality. But if you really want a 3D TV then its up to you. I would wait though until we hear more about them and the life span of them.

I personally would look to buy an LCD 30in-40in for now, especially if your not worried about them breaking anytime soon. From what I hear, Plasma TVs have the worse life span so you would most likely be replacing it in a few years. 3D TVs right now are a bit of a gamble.
        Last edited by Amari24; 06-18-2010, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Hoserman117
          Pwnin' Nubz
          • Dec 2006

The future of 3D gaming will be with devices that can perform headtracking without the need of glasses and no special tv. If you don't know what headtracking is just YouTube headtracking with the wii.

The Kinect is a step in the right direction for this kind of technology, but unfortunately it doesn't currently do this which is very disappointing.
          I would advise against a 3D tv.

Comment

• GatorChomp
            Bench Warmer
            • Sep 2007

If it were me I would wait a year or 2 before I went for the 3D tvs. They'll probably get cheaper, and the technology will be perfected a little bit better. Well that's what I would assume. I remember when HD flat panels first came out, they were WAY more expensive then they are now. But then again I don't know much about TVs, and am a poor recent college grad! Haha. If you do end up with 1 make sure to let us know how it is.

3D gaming will be SICK one day!

P.S. If it's something you want, go for it. Don't let us change your mind either way!
            sigpic
            Thanks Blondie79!
            All aboard the TEBOW TRAIN... since 2006!
            Team Tebow #15

Adopted NFL Player:
            "Oh Mercy"PERCY HARVIN

Comment

• PhillyBronco24
              Bench Warmer
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
              The future of 3D gaming will be with devices that can perform headtracking without the need of glasses and no special tv. If you don't know what headtracking is just YouTube headtracking with the wii.

The Kinect is a step in the right direction for this kind of technology, but unfortunately it doesn't currently do this which is very disappointing.
              I would advise against a 3D tv.
              I would agree with this but many tv channels are going to have their own 3d channels in the future and watching football in 3d? Can you say amazing.
              sigpic

Team Tebow #267

Comment

Working...
              X