• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fantaztic7
    Banned User
    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
    Personally, I don’t think Harris passes the eye test when it comes to being great. I don’t care what stats might seem to indicate.

I think if he’s your best corner, you’re not going to have a truly great secondary.

He’s a good corner but not good enough to be holding the team hostage.

The team’s success will not rest on whether or not Harris is on the team.
    What does passing the eye test look like?

Do you need orange and blue lenses to help with the eye test?

Comment

• samparnell
      Soy Capitan Meshpoint
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

Only if they're in horsehead shaped frames.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• broncolee
        Football Immortal
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
        Would you rather have Chris and pay him 12 million a year or Patrick Peterson (or take your CB pick) and pay him 15million a year?
        Ideally, I would want both players at a responsible cost.

If I could only have one, I’m probably going with Peterson.

I don’t really care about the money other than it’s affect on the salary cap.

It’s disappointing to see teams give crazy amounts of money to mediocre to above average players just because it’s their turn.

That’s not to say Harris is only above average, but at the same time, he’s not the guy to be backing up the Brinks truck either.
        Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• MarshallMoss
          Special Teams
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
          Ideally, I would want both players at a responsible cost.

If I could only have one, I’m probably going with Peterson.

I don’t really care about the money other than it’s affect on the salary cap.

It’s disappointing to see teams give crazy amounts of money to mediocre to above average players just because it’s their turn.

That’s not to say Harris is only above average, but at the same time, he’s not the guy to be backing up the Brinks truck either.
          I agree completely. Couldn't say it better.
          "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

• Zealander
            ING!
            • Apr 2007

Would you rather have Chris and pay him 12 million a year or Patrick Peterson (or take your CB pick) and pay him 15million a year?
            Chris...

Comment

• EddieMac
              Canuck Mod, eh!
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
              Chris...

This,,,,every time...
              sigpic

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                Football Immortal
                • Jun 2007

I’d take Chris Harris at 15 mil a year over Peterson at 12 mil a year.

Comment

• Rich_C
                  Captain
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                  I'm on the side of paying him what he deserves . I think 13 million is fair . If Elway is paying someone 11 who isn't as good then CHJ is worth it to me. That said , why is there ever an issue when a player has 1 or 2 yrs left on their contract. If hes got 1 year left he should play it out.
                  This is an easy one. To be honest this all makes sense for both parties (usually). From CHJs perspective if he gets hurt then his value to other teams decreases. This would like be to the tune of millions. Now to the Broncos unless we were to extend him or planned to trading him now for a 3rd or 4th would be in our best interest.

To summarize it is about CHJ getting guarantees of money and for us it is about getting the right value back.

Comment

• Rich_C
                    Captain
                    • Aug 2012

Thanks for the clarfication of being 13th highest paid corner at time of signing. Still pretty damn good for a #2 cb. Chris at the time was the top slot CB (which by the way one of the top slot CB's today just signed with us for $7 million a year in today's money). Chris has since evolved into a sure fire #1 CB.

In regards to our contract to Jackson, that is what today's contracts are at. Chris should not be worth Kareem because he is still under contract. What do you think would happen to the league if every time a new contract was surpassed by another player that the player under contract demanded his contract be renogotiated? I mean is Kirk Cousins even close to the top 6 or 7 Qbs in the league? No way...but he was one of most recent to cash in on the new standard.

Chris has been amazing for us, but if we give in to him, we set a bad standard for all future players.

If he wants to extend his contract at this point it should be at a discount, not to his demands of highest paid CB. Taking on risk of a player coming off injury, now 30 years old and still under contract should come at a discount. The only way he has any leverage to be the highest paid player is if his contract has expired and he is a free agent...like a Kirk Cousins or Kareem Jackson

I agree, both sides shouldn't have the screw you attitude (even though admittedly I feel that way towards Chris and other players who demand restructures). Chris I know feels disrespected and has used ill advised ways to express it publicly. Equally the Broncos have a team to run and equally probably feel disrespected that he doesn't want to honor his contract. Once emotions cool hopefully that middle ground can be found that makes sense for both parties.
                    1st on Kirk cousins. He was not just the next one up Kirk was an above average or average QB in his prime who was a free agent. Key word there is Free. He was open for business and had multiple teams bidding up the price.

Now on CHJ. For me it comes down to this. I saw a CB who struggled more so then in the past and then started chirping to the media. So if he cannot fulfill the role of #1 soundly then his salary should be around the 13 million mark. Essentially where Jackson is.

Now if CHJ can get back to the #1 or top tier caliber CB then he is worth the 15 mil over 3 years for a total of 45 mil.

Another option for a contact which could be interesting is guarantees based on performance. For example hed get a guaranteed salary of 11 mil a season and if he can keep his stats in say 1 to 3 categories in the top 5 hed get 4 mill each season he does so for three years.
                    Last edited by Rich_C; 05-05-2019, 04:48 AM.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                      Banned User
                      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      Only if they're in horsehead shaped frames.
                      I’m sold!

Comment

• mozzerpete
                        All-Pro
                        • May 2008

My best estimation is that the "Eye Test" is the same one used during scouting leading up to the NFL Draft and continually throughout the NFL. Some people have "it", a degree of "it", others do not. You might be in the same camp as me.

Comment

• samparnell
                          Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                          • Nov 2007

I’m sold!
                          I guess I should patent or copyright it in the event that item appears in the future, unless it already exists.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• lvbronx
                            Old School
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            I guess I should patent or copyright it in the event that item appears in the future, unless it already exists.
                            That didn't stop Thomas Edison.

Comment

• Zealander
                              ING!
                              • Apr 2007

I think Elway is going to play hardball... He won't extend Chris, but then when the contract is up he'll let the market value set Chris's contract and match the highest bidder.

Or if he doesn't like the money he'll take the comp pick

Comment

• Sam_Z
                                Banned User
                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
                                I think Elway is going to play hardball... He won't extend Chris, but then when the contract is up he'll let the market value set Chris's contract and match the highest bidder.

Or if he doesn't like the money he'll take the comp pick
                                Lol and we’ll all say 15 million is a fair asking just as many did when Osweiler walked for Houston.
                                I’m actually not worried because who would be a bigger free agent next season other than CHJ?

Nobody, so unlike Osweiler we can tag Harris again.

Comment

Working...
                                X